Stroke of a pencil

As the morning sunlight filtered through the curtains, casting a warm glow over the breakfast table, Beth was having breakfast with her mother.

With a casual tone, her mother announced, "Elisabeth, dear, could you wear that nice red dress of yours on Saturday. I've had Magnus go and get it cleaned for you."

"What's on Saturday?" Beth asked, not knowing what is happening all of a sudden.

"Oh, I suppose I didn't tell you. We are hosting a dinner here, so I expect you to act nicely, dear."

"What's the occasion?" Beth inquired again, knowing that there were no holidays near, since it was mid-February.

"Oh, well I just thought that it would be lovely to invite Mr. McRoy over, along with some other guests," her mother stated.

Beth rolled her eyes subtly.

"You know, dear I was in touch with your father, and I must say, Mr. McRoy is a very nice gentleman. We really think that you would settle with him wonderfully."

Beth's breath stopped. "What was that supposed to mean?"

Her mother answered in her usual, self-admiring tone. "Oh, well I just think that you two would make a proper nice marriage, dear."

Beth couldn't believe what she was hearing. She could feel anger and anxiety boiling inside of her, screaming to come out.

She got up from her chair and said loudly, "WHAT!?"

Her mother gave her a confused look, thinking that Beth saw it coming.

"First, I haven't seen Edward for months and now, I'm suddenly informed that I'm supposed to marry him?" Beth didn't lower her voice.

"I said that we thought about it, Elisabeth." Mother said, starting to get annoyed.

"You are marrying me off for maintaining status and you know it, mother, I..." Beth shot it all out.

"Elisabeth!" her mother yelled, making her instantly go quiet. "You should be grateful. This is an opportunity that we never- "

"An opportunity for what? To ruin my life? I don't want to marry him!" Beth raised her voice.

Her mother quickly got up, slammed her hand on the table and yelled, "YOU HAVE TO!"

Silence.

"Then what about John?" Beth asked quietly.

"What John?"

"Mr. Hawthorne."

"Oh, my dear, that John? The John you joked around with for a week or two? That boy certainly isn't the match for even a slag, let alone my daughter," her mother laughed mockingly.

Beth was resisting the urge to stomp her feet and throw something at her.

"He lacks the refinement and sophistication in every way."

Then Beth couldn't hold it anymore. For some reason, maybe because she liked him the way he was, she couldn't bear to hear somebody mock him like that.

To her, he was truly the softest, nicest guy she knew.

"I hate you," she said, her voice barely a breath.

"What was that?" mother asked.

"I hate you!" Beth started tearing up and then she stormed out of the room.

She took her coat as fast as she could and stomped her way out.

Her heart was pounding so hard that she could hear it in her ears, her feet were on fire with every step out of that house.