Understand the child

There is a saying: A child that is not embraced by its village will burn it down to feel its warmth.

That blissful Saturday came faster than Beth expected and soon enough she found herself getting ready for the formal dinner her mother was hosting.

She was up in her room with her two closest friends – Josephine and Geraldine. Those were girls about her age. Josephine was, as mentioned before, 16 years old (soon 17), while Geraldine was about to turn 18.

The room was dimly lit as they chatted and giggled. The air was filled with a mix of excitement and tension. The room was adorned with stunning dresses thrown across the bed, makeup scattered on the vanity and the faint scent of perfume lingering in the air.

"Oh, Bettie," said Geraldine, "you look like you've finally lost a pound. It's been time already."

"Oh, yes. You should keep it up. You still look a bit under the figure. Loose a bit more so you don't have to wear a corset." Josephine added.

Beth, with an insecure nod, smiled lightly, taking this as both a compliment and an insult deep inside.

For instance, Geraldine didn't have the most wanted figure of the decade as well. Moreover, she was rather overweight for those standards, but she was always quick to say. Deep inside Beth knew that she was hypocritical, because she was way slimmer than her, yet she still judged her so quickly.

"Oh, did you see my new dress? Father sent it to me a week ago. See? It's that blue one on the bed." Geraldine pointed.

The girls stared at the dress with a hint of amazement in their eyes. It was a beautiful dress made of silk, accessorized with blue and white patterns. It looked exotic, and exotic was in fashion.

Beth asked in a funny tone, "Gosh, Geraldine, what has your father not sent you?"

"I don't know. But commodities from India are especially valuable these days. I'm surprised you don't have any, Bettie. Those are high fashion right now."

Beth just brushed her off in a sarcastic tone, "Well, I unfortunately do not have a father that works in India, thank you very much Geraldine. My father is in the navy."

"It's not like I was insulting you or so. I'm just saying, my dress is going to draw much more attention."

After they all slipped into their dresses, and did their hair, they just waited for the dinner to start and looked in the mirror.

To break the silence, Jo asked, "Bettie, I have, for example, heard that your nice new suitor is going to come this evening, isn't he?"

Beth sighed and nodded, seeming just exhausted.

Geraldine jumped from her seat. "Well, then you should put on some more powder!"

Jo added, "And more lipstick!"

"And you should fix your hair. I should do it for you. You always make it look awful."

Geraldine got very excited about the interesting guest, so she and Josephine started doing Beth's hair all over again, saying that she must look good for the occasion.

As Beth soon descended the grand staircase, her presence commanded attention. The room, which was already full of guests, fell silent as all eyes turned towards her, the epitome of elegance and poise.

Her palms were sweaty, a bitter taste appeared in her mouth. Edward was there as well.

She caught his gaze from across the room, his eyes dark with intensity, his jet-black hair neatly styled. The air crackled with unspoken tension as they locked eyes. The guests watched them, unaware of the storm brewing within.