Under The Mistletoe

Travis

The car ride home from the restaurant was uncomfortable. For me at least. Even though it was only 5 of us, each with their own seat, it still felt cramped. Maybe it's because I take up my seat and half of someone else's, or maybe it was Taylor's close proximity. She was exhausted and fell asleep but took off her heels and draped her feet across my lap before doing so. She's always done this before, leaving me to massage her aching feet but this time felt different.

What is wrong with me? I feel so flustered with no reasonable explanation, and can't even bring my self to do normal things for my bestfriend.

"Travis?"

I look up and see Taylor peeking at me confused and tired. Was she not asleep? Then I notice the bumps across her thighs and arms. Cold. She was cold, that's all. She didn't see you being flustered over feet Travis.

"Travis?" She repeats, eyes fully open now.

"Yeah?" I finally reply.

"Are you okay? You seem a little...distracted, almost?" She says tentatively.

"What? No. No, I'm fine Tay. Just daydreaming." I say with a small smile.

"Oh, okay. My feet hurt, massage please?" She says with raised eyebrows and an expectant smile.

" 'Kay. " I curtly reply.

She looks at me questioningly for a while before looking at the window.

We've all made it inside the house a short time later, heading towards the couch. We all talk for a bit in the living area, but it's getting late and I'm getting tired. I rise from the couch and start saying my goodbyes. Traveling down the Christmas adorned hallway, I reach the front door with the Taylor and Andrea behind me.

I open the door and step outside but Taylor walks past me to the car. Confused, I watch as she runs to the car and comes back with an ornament. It's a picture of me and her 2 years ago during a camping trip framed with a candy cane like pattern. She hands it to me with a big smile on her face.

"I know you already have your tree up, but can you make a little space for this one? I wanted to give you something for Christmas a little early."

I laugh and receive it from her hands. "Of course, I've always got space for a Taylor made special."

"Oh! You guys are under the mistletoe! Give him a kiss Tay!" Andrea exclaims excitedly.

Me and Taylor look up and find said mistletoe hanging above our heads. I look back down at Taylor and find her looking at me normally. Hopefully I'm wearing the gaze too because I feel far from normal.

"And don't cheat it this time! You too are old enough, don't dodge it with a cheek Taylor!" Andrea continues with a false sincerity.

Taylor looks at me before putting a hand on my cheek pulling me in.

Shit. Shit.

The kiss was quick. It was more of a peck than anything.

"Goodnight Trav!" Taylor bids after pulling away.

How is she normal right now? Why am I not normal right now?

"Night."

I turn and cross the street to my house.

                              Taylor

"What was that all about?" Mom turns to look at me.

"I dunno. He has been a little dazy since dinner, so he's probably just tired." I say with a shrug.

"Hm... we'll go with that." She says sarcastically.

"What?"

"Oh nothing. It's late, let's go inside." She pulls me into the house and shuts the door.

I trek upstairs to my bedroom and get ready for bed. Looking up to the ceiling, I think about what just happened. I had no issue with the kiss but I guess it made Travis uncomfortable. I'll apologize tomorrow. Maybe keep my distance as-well. He's my best friend and all but maybe he's tired of me being close to him.

After a couple of minutes, my eyes grow tired and I fall asleep. Falling asleep wondering if your best friend still wants you around is not enjoyable. The morning couldn't come any sooner.

~~~~~~~~~~~

This part is pretty short but I'm working on the next!

Request or comments here!