Part Nineteen - Part Two

•••

I stand frozen, processing his confession. The world seems to spin around me, his words echoing in my mind. The sun casts a warm glow, and I can feel every emotion he's laid bare.

"Scott," I manage, my voice trembling. I take a step back, trying to reconcile my feelings with the reality of our situation. "This... this is a lot."

He looks at me, his eyes filled with a mixture of hope and fear. "I know it's sudden, but I couldn't keep it to myself any longer. I needed you to know how I feel."

I stare into his brown eyes, searching for a hint of humor. His confession hangs in the air, heavy and undeniable. Scott loves me. He actually said it. I slowly back away, my feet moving on their own as my mind races.

I catch myself glancing at the ground, my thoughts a whirlwind. Does he know I feel the same? Did he figure it out and now he's using it against me?

What will my mother and sister think? I feel the pressure of their judgment even now. Can I stop this before it spirals out of control?

Scott jogs to catch up, determination in his stride. "You see what I mean?" His voice is firm but calm. "I knew this was how you'd react. I'm not taking back what I said because it's true."

My mouth opens, but no sound comes out. He takes my hand, stopping me in my tracks. The warmth of his touch sends a shiver through me.

He links our fingers, his grip both gentle and insistent. "I told you this was a bad idea," he says, a smile tugging at his lips. "Zayn, please don't shut me out. I don't know what else to say besides that I'm in love with you. And I have no idea what's going on in your head."

My eyes fixate on his lips, plump and pink. "You know this is wrong," I whisper, my voice barely audible.

Scott chuckles, running a hand through his hair, tousling it further. "Yeah, extremely. But I can't stop myself. It is what it is. I don't know how I'm going to handle the rejection though."

The tension in the air thickens, and I feel a strange mix of dread and excitement. Things are unraveling fast, but maybe, just maybe, this chaos is exactly what I need.

I nod slowly, trying to absorb his words. The connection between us is undeniable, but the implications of his confession weigh heavily on me. My heart races, not just from his declaration but from the uncertainty of what comes next.

Scott releases a deep breath, his shoulders sagging slightly. "I understand if you need time to process this. I just needed to be honest with you."

I swallow hard, looking at him with a mixture of affection and apprehension. "Thank you for telling me."

The sun dipping lower in the sky, casting long shadows across the road. The weight of Scott's words lingers between us, but for now, we focus on putting one foot in front of the other.

Scott glances at me, his expression soft but earnest. "Whatever happens, I want you to know that I'm here for you. We'll figure this out together."

I offer a tentative smile, feeling a mix of warmth and apprehension. "Thanks, Scott. I appreciate that."

We walk in silence, the scenery around us breathtaking. The sun dips lower, casting a golden hue over fields of wildflowers swaying in the breeze. The tranquility contrasts sharply with the turmoil inside me.

Scott clears his throat, breaking the quiet. "Zayn, there's something I need to tell you."

I glance at him, curiosity piqued. "What is it?"

He takes a deep breath, eyes fixed on the path ahead. "You remember those flowers and love notes in your locker?"

My heart skips a beat. Of course, I remember. Those notes had brightened my days, a sweet mystery I thought I had solved. "Yeah, Elliot told me they were from him."

Scott shakes his head, a wry smile tugging at his lips. "Elliot lied. It was me. I put the flowers and notes in your locker."

I stop walking, turning to face him fully. "You? Why didn't you tell me?"

Scott shrugs, looking slightly sheepish. "I was scared. I didn't know how you'd react. And then Elliot swooped in and took credit, and I didn't want to cause any drama."

The revelation sends a jolt through me. All this time, it was Scott. The sweet gestures, the heartfelt notes—they were from him. I shake my head, trying to process it. "I can't believe it. Why didn't you say anything when Elliot lied?"

Scott sighs, rubbing the back of his neck. "You seemed happy with him, and I didn't want to ruin that."

I let out a shaky breath, the pieces of the puzzle falling into place. I step closer, searching his eyes. "You did all that because you cared about me."

Scott nods, his eyes sincere. "Yeah, Zayn. I've always cared about you."

We stand there, the sun setting behind us, casting long shadows across the path. The air feels charged with unspoken words and emotions. I feel the warmth of his presence.

He reaches out, gently brushing a strand of hair from my face. "I just wanted you to know the truth."

In that moment, surrounded by the beauty of the scenery and the raw honesty between us, clarity washes over me. The chaos of the day fades, leaving only the simple, undeniable connection between us.

"There's something else," Scott says, breaking the silence again, his voice dropping lower. "Elliot didn't just lie about the notes. He knew they were from me. We made a deal."

I freeze, my heart pounding. "What kind of deal?"

Scott hesitates, guilt flashing in his eyes. "He promised to stay away from you if I let him take the credit. But I think he broke his promise. That's why he showed up. He never really let you go."

My mind reels with the implications. Elliot's sudden reappearance, the way he seemed so sure of himself—it all starts to make sense. Anger bubbles up, but so does a strange sense of relief. Scott's confession, Elliot's betrayal—they're pieces of a puzzle that finally fit.

"I can't believe this," I say, shaking my head. "Why would he do that?"

Scott looks down, his expression troubled. "He still loves you, Zayn. And he thought if he made me look like the bad guy, he'd have another chance with you."

The weight of the truth settles over me, but so does a new resolve. I look into Scott's eyes, seeing the genuine care there. "Thank you for telling me. I needed to know."

Scott nods, relief washing over his features. "I just want you to be happy, Zayn. Even if it's not with me."

I realize something. It's not about the flowers or the notes. It's about who stood by me, even in the face of lies and deception. And right now, that's Scott.

•••