Chapter Nineteen

Kata's perspective

Glenn and I have been working on this math workbook and I've never been more bored in my life. Dad has been gone by himself for a long time. He said he was going to be fine, that it wasn't going to big deal going out on his own but I feel like he should have been back by now. I haven't been able to think about much in the past couple of hours because my anxiety has been too high. When Glenn was doing the workbook with me, I kept getting things wrong because I wasn't focusing on it. I've just been thinking too much about it. I didn't like not knowing if he was okay or not. If it wasn't for my ankle I could be out there with him, the safer way, but I had to allow myself to get it fractured.

" I think that's good enough for today," Glenn said.

" Thank God," I muttered, making him chuckle.

I noticed Dale was coming in and I noticed the change in Glenn's face. " Kata, I know Lori's inside the house. Could you go with her for a bit? While I talk to Dale?"

" Yeah," I said. I grabbed my crutches and moved my way out of the RV, heading towards the house. I was walking up, noticing Hershel was coming out of the house. " Hi Hershel," I said, flinging my body up the stairs.

" Hello Kata," he smiled at me. " How's your ankle?" He asked.

I shrugged. " Hurts doesn't hurt. It doesn't make up its mind whether it wants to hurt or not," he chuckles at me. 

" Well, how about tomorrow I take a peek at it and make sure it's doing better," he asked.

" If it's not too much," I replied. " I know helping us has been taking a lot out of your supplies. I just don't want to make it too much for you," I answered.

" It will not be an issue," he smiled.

He went inside and I stayed on the porch. I was looking out towards the woods when I heard Andrea start shouting. I slowly started moving towards my group again. As I got over, I heard Rick mutter something to himself as he followed behind Shane, Rick, T-dog, and Glenn. I walked near the RV wondering what happened.

" What's going on?" I asked.

" Walker coming towards us," Dale said. " Andrea don't," I looked up and saw Andrea aiming at the walker.

" Shut up, Dale," she yelled

" What if there's more, Andrea? It's not a smart idea to shoot that gun. Hershel wouldn't like it either," I said.

She didn't reply. Ended up shooting the gun and I groaned. " No," we heard from a distance, it sounded like Rick.

I crutched towards their direction. Dale and Andrea are in front of them. The closer I got, the better I could see. As I was about ten feet away from the others, I noticed the walker wasn't a walker, but was my dad. " Daddy!" I yelled. I dropped the crutches not caring about my ankle and started running towards them. The pain was there, burning up my leg and I wanted to stop, but I kept going. Glenn got in front of me and picked me up. I squirmed in his grip, trying to get out of it but wasn't working well. " Daddy!" I yelled again, feeling the tears falling down my face.

" Oh my god," Andrea yelled behind me. " Is he dead?"

Dead? Oh god, I didn't think that far at all. I felt myself start panicking inside. Glenn noticed and started rubbing my back. I wrapped my arms around his neck, looking at my dad. " He's just unconscious," Rick announced. " You just grazed the top of his head."

" But look at him, what the hell happened?" Dale asked

" Are those walker ears around his neck?" Glenn asked.