Chapter 11: The Protector's Vow

The moment Takagaru tries to advance his journey after destroying the shield, an eastern dragon appears from the base of the ocean, rising into the sky in front of him. Unlike a western dragon, which resembles a dinosaur, the eastern dragon has a long serpentine body with four small legs.

"Who are you? How dare you stand in my way?" Takagaru demands.

"I am Saphi, the protector of this land. While I am guarding this territory, not even a fly can enter here without my permission. Return to where you came from, or prepare for your death," declares the dragon.

"Then we must fight, for there is no question of returning. But I will still give you one last chance to leave this area and let me do my work," says Takagaru.

"Why are you trying to scare me? Do you think I am a child to be frightened? Or is this a sign of your own fear to face a dragon?" Saphi retorts.

"You are acting like a brat now. Your impending death is making you behave this way. With your arrogance, you assume me to be an ordinary eagle. But I am the legendary eagle Takagaru, servant of my lord Arya, destroyer of the races of Nagas, dragons, and Hydras. None have ever lived to witness my face," Takagaru introduces himself.

"What a great lifetime opportunity for me in this life to meet the legendary eagle. I, Saphi, the great-great-grandson of Ahi, bow down to the half-brother of the great forefather of our race. I might be younger compared to you, but I am still over a thousand years old. So please do not disrespect my abilities. I will show you my might in this battle, and I will make my ancestors proud by avenging the death of my great-great-grandfather Ahi," says Saphi.

Ahi was an ancient proto-serpent, half brother of Takagaru. They had the same father but different mothers. Ahi had three sons, from which the races of serpents, eastern dragons, and hydras were born. Ahi also had a twin sister, whereas Takagaru is the father of the bird race.

"I bless you to be the bravest. I'm impressed by your bravery, my child. It takes great courage to say that in my face after knowing my identity. Ahi became corrupted with greed and poison, which led to his death. You still have time; surrender yourself and save your life," replies Takagaru.

"Do not disappoint me. Show me what your old bones have got. I will not hold anything back, considering your old age. So do not hold back anything against me either. I hope you are still able to give me some enjoyment," says Saphi.

As both insist on their decisions, there is no other way but to fight. Saphi is well aware of Takagaru's power, but it is a matter of pride and respect. The day he was assigned as the protector of this place against any non-human superpower, he knew his fate. Even if he can delay Takagaru for a moment until the supreme priest arrives to help, there is still a chance. He took this job to repay the debt of his clan and to prove the sincerity and loyalty of his lineage. He knows that even if he dies in this battle, his big brother, who currently sits on the throne of the eastern dragons, will be proud of him and will take care of his family.

"So be it," says Takagaru.

Takagaru flies upwards at full speed to create distance and maximize the impact of his attack. As he ascends, the friction with the air ignites fire on his head. To counter this, Saphi begins to fly towards him in a wave-like motion, his bright bluish sapphire scales glinting and his eyes becoming blood red with anger. Once Takagaru gains the desired distance, he descends like a missile toward Saphi. Saphi roars and shoots lightning bolts at him, but Takagaru dodges at the last moment and strikes Saphi with his beak at full speed, causing damage to Saphi's scales and making him lose balance.

Quickly regaining his balance, Saphi swings his tail in a surprise move, coiling it around Takagaru and preparing to shoot another lightning bolt directly at him. However, with overwhelming strength, Takagaru frees himself from Saphi's coil before the bolt can strike.