Chapter Two: How To Avoid Getting Pizza All Over Your Face

"People sometimes talk about the power of first impressions, and believe me, there is truth to it."—Ann Brashares, My Name Is Memory

Jared Blaze Anderson

"There's a new student coming to school today and I want you to show her around." Uncle Fred said. He was my father's younger brother, like dad he had blonde hair and green eyes. 

I slouched into the chair. I was currently in the Principal's (aka Uncle Fred's) office. "Uh... how about no?" Uncle Fred looked at me disapprovingly. 

"Blaze if you show the girl around I won't tell grandpa and grandma about your so called 'Prank' on your English teacher, Mr. Callaso." Uncle Fred offered. 

I thought about it for a moment. If I refused then grandpa and grandma will be disappointed in me and I really don't want them to be disappointed because they've gave me everything my mother couldn't give— a home, love, and care. I can't believe I'm going to waste my time showing this girl around school. Why couldn't Uncle Fred just ask someone else to do it?

"Why can't you get someone else to show her around?" 

"It was last minute, besides do you really want grandpa and grandma to know that you dumped a bucket of paint on Mr. Callaso." Uncle Fred asked with a stupid ass smirk on his face.

"Fine! I'll do it!" 

Uncle Fred smiled and nodded. "She'll arrive in about," he paused to check the time in his watch. "30 minutes. Her name is Mia Addison Thompson, she's 16 years old turning 17 soon. She's a brunette with blue eyes." 

Mia, huh? I thought. 

"Blaze." Uncle Fred said sounding serious for a moment.

"What?" I asked. 

"Be nice." Uncle Fred said."Don't scare her off please." 

"Yeah, yeah. I get the message." 

"Good. Now get going." 

One Hour Later

She's fucking late. It's bad enough that I have to show her around the whole fucking school but now she's late?!?

I growled loudly and checked the time in my phone again. If she's not coming in 5 seconds I'm leaving.  

5...

4...

3...

2...

2.5...

1...

0...

That's it!

"Are you Jared?" A meek voice asked.

I turned. It was the new girl, obviously. She was wearing jean shorts, a long grey cardigan over a white lacey top and red vans. "So what if I am?" 

She rolled her eyes at me. "Fine. I'll get to class on my own."

Oh Crap. If Uncle Fred finds out that I didn't show her around he'd tell my grandparents. "Wait!" 

She sighed loudly and turned to look at me her face showing how irritated she was. "I am Jared but I prefer to be called by my second name, Blaze." She opened her mouth to ask why but I quickly spoke. "Now come on, I'll show you around Charleston High."