Chapter Four: How To Blow Up A Laboratory

"When the chemistry is right, all the experiments work."  —Gregory Benford, Shipstar 

Jared Blaze Anderson

"Well...This is a first." Cade said. I scowled. The three of us—Cade, Rafe and I, were currently in front of none other than Mia's house. 

"What is that supposed to mean?" I asked him. 

Cade shrugged. "This has never happened before."

"You know what else has never happened before? Blaze apologizing to someone, to a girl." Rafe commented. 

I smacked his head. "Shut up!" 

"Ow!" he said. "Are you on drugs or something?" 

I stared at him blankly. "Hell yeah I'm on drugs." I said sarcastically.

Cade rolled his eyes at us. "Why are we here Blaze?" 

"We're here to pick up Mia." I replied. 

"No shit." Cade said. 

I sighed. "I just don't want my Uncle to find more reasons to get me in trouble." 

Rafe wiggled his eyebrows at me. "Is that the only reason?" 

I smacked him again. "That's the only reason!"

Rafe opened his mouth to respond but then the door to Mia's house swung open to reveal Mia and a tiny boy clinging onto her hand. He looked a lot like Mia. "I'm off to school now!" she yelled into the house. "Come on." she said to the little boy. 

When she finally noticed us her expression was that of surprise. "What are you guys doing here?" She asked us but I noticed her gaze was planted firmly at me. 

"Get in." Was I said. 

She frowned but still climbed into the car. "Mi-Mi, whose that?" the little boy asked. 

"Just a friend." she replied. 

I raised an eyebrow at her through the mirror. She blushed and turned away. "Is he your boyfriend?" the little boy asked. 

Cade and Rafe immediately burst out laughing. Mia blushed harder. "I—I like him." Rafe said in between laughs. 

"Why would you think that, kid?" I asked him. 

"My name is Mark." he said in response. I chuckled. "Why would you think that, Mark?" 

"Well...you are a boy and Mi-Mi says your her friend so you're her boyfriend." Mark said.

Cade and Rafe started to laugh again. I turned to the both of them and glared. "If you don't stop right now you can walk to school." After a while they stopped laughing.

"Mark, just because Jared's a boy and he's my friend it doesn't mean he's my boyfriend." Mia told Michael. I frowned when she said my first name but didn't say anything. 

"I don't get it." he said, confused. 

"It's complicated. I'll explain it to you when we get home later." Mia said. 

Mark looked content with that answer and proceeded to cuddle with Mia and fell asleep shortly after wards.

"How old is he?" Cade asked. 

"He's 7 and a half." Mia said. She brushed a few strands of hair from Mark's face with a smile.

"Is he your only sibling?" Cade asked. "Yes. That's why I spoil him. " Mia replied.