Chapter Three: How To Apologize To A Girl

"Chocolate says "I'm sorry" so much better than words."—Rachel Vincent, My Soul to Save

Jared Blaze Anderson

"What did you do?" Uncle Fred asked me the moment I stepped into the room.

"Nothing!" I said trying to cover up what happened.

"Yeah right, you thought I wouldn't find out? I have eyes in the inside you know." Uncle Fred stated confidently. 

"I think you mean rumors spread easily." I said sarcastically.

"Whatever, let's just focus on the situation at hand." Uncle Fred turned to look at me, a serious look on his face. "Apologize." 

"I'm sorry." I said simply. Huh, that was easier than I thought.

Uncle Fred stood up from his chair and then proceeded to come over to me and thump the back of my head. "Ouch!" I yelled. 

"Not to me you moron! To Mia!" he yelled. He actually sounded really mad this time. "You don't treat a lady like that no matter what!" 

"Geez calm down will you!" I said. 

"Not until you apologize." Uncle Fred stated firmly.

"I will. I was planning to from the start anyway." 

"Good. Now get to it! And don't forget girls love chocolates!" Uncle Fred exclaimed kicking me out of his office. 

I sighed in relief but the moment of peace was destroyed once I noticed Rafe and Cade. They both wore unreadable expressions on their faces but deep inside, I knew they were mad.

I groaned. "What?" 

"Are you going to apologize to her or do we have to make you?" Rafe declared. His tone was calm but deadly.

"I'm going to apologize to her tomorrow." I stated. 

"Why tomorrow?" Cade asked, his eyebrow raised.

I felt my cheeks heat up slightly. "Uncle Fred said that 'girls love chocolates' so I plan on buying some for her." 

Rafe and Cade's expressions immediately changed to that of happiness and mirth. "We'll help!"  they both said simultaneously.

"I know this store that sells the best chocolate let's go there after school." Rafe said. 

"What are you actually going to say to her?" Cade asked.

I shrugged in response. "I'm sorry?" 

Rafe looked at me with what seemed like an expression of shock. "That's it? That's all your going to say to her? After you basically ignored her the whole day? After you let her take a pizza in the face for you? After you yelled at her and embarrassed her in front of the whole school on her first day?" 

Cade nodded in agreement. "You need to do something better. Something with a little more effort." 

"I'm pretty sure buying her expensive chocolate is good enough." I said. I mean the fact that I'm trying counts right?

Rafe sighed and put a hand on my shoulder. "You have a lot to learn about women, my friend." 

"Well, what else should I do?" I said, confused. 

"Be sincere." Rafe said. 

"Sincere?" I repeated.

"Sincere—(of a person) saying what they genuinely feel or believe; not dishonest or hypocritical." Rafe said.