CHAPTER 28 - Unforeseen

unforeseen /ˌʌnfɔːˈsiːn,ˌʌnfəˈsiːn/ — not anticipated or predicted

     Levi's eyes were firmly on the city, his heart beating against his ribcage. He waited for the green smoke to appear so that he'd relax, knowing the mission had succeeded. But it didn't come. Instead, he saw the blinding light of a titan transformation and a red flare, and his heart sank.

     Erwin instructed Nile Dok to dispatch all troops, who were now flying towards where the Female Titan stood, its eyes set on something on the ground.

     It was torture, staying on the sideline while incapable soldiers ran into battle. It was torture knowing that the plan had failed and that he still couldn't fight. It was torture knowing that Reinae was trapped in that tunnel, maybe already lying dead under the rubble, maybe moments away from dying.

     "Please," he murmured, his eyes narrowing on the city, waiting. Please, please, please.

     When he finally saw a figure shooting up into the air, the red hair unmistakably hers, he inhaled deeply and released a shaky breath of relief. The feeling didn't last because the Female Titan turned towards Reinae. Levi's brow twitched.

     Where's the brat? Why isn't he transforming?

     Just as the worst came through his mind, Eren's Titan slammed through the ground and sent the Female Titan flying across the city.

     Annie smashed into a church, her huge titan body destroying the entire upper part of it. Reinae ignored the dozens of dead bodies in the ruined building, shooting after the Female Titan, who started running as fast as she could.

     Where are you going? Reinae thought, narrowing her eyes on the titan's nape.

     "N- no!" The desperate call came from the collapsed church. Reinae turned to see a priest staring at the titan with fear and worry. "Keep it away from the wall!"

     Reinae would've scoffed at the priest and his protectiveness toward the walls, but his words sounded an alarm in her head.

     "It's trying to get over the wall!" she shouted at the closest scouts. "Disable it! Now!"

     She shot through the streets faster than anyone else, the fear of Annie getting away driving her to push her limits. A group of Military Police officers surrounded the Female Titan, attempting to cut her ankles or knees, but she dodged every attack.

     But there was no avoiding Reinae. The woman shot through the air like a bullet, flying past Annie's face without her even noticing, her blades slashing through the titan's right eye. Reinae landed on the nearby roof, her mouth twitching upwards when the Female Titan's remaining eye met with her blazing stare.

     "Come, honey," she hissed through her smile. "I have a promise to fulfill."

     The Titan turned and ran in the other direction—towards a clearing.