5.

'Ohooo, did you blush at what I just said?'

I looked up at him with wide eyes and before I could even open my mouth to say anything further, he said, 'You know Arshi, if you become like this when I say that I like you, I would gladly say it a hundred times just to watch you blush...'

I was speechless and couldn't say anything more. I didn't need to because Karan was not done talking.

'Accha, I won't tease you,' he smiled, 'So, tell me. What are your likes and dislikes?'

'Um, Karan, before you decide on yes or no, I want to talk to you about something.'
'Listen, Arshi, I have already decided that I will marry you. And I won't say no unless you don't want to marry me.'
'No, I do want to marry- this is something else. You see, I am currently studying medicine and I want to pursue my residency and fellowship outside of India. And I even received an offer of admission from a very reputed hospital in Canada.'

'That is amazing Arshi, congratulations! What is the problem then?'

'Well, papa won't let me go on my own and he wanted me to marry and then go abroad. Which I don't fully agree with him because I can be independent without a husband, but I respect his decision and I want you to know that I want to study abroad after marriage. Will there be any problem with that?'

'Not at all Arshi. And just so you know, I also support women being independent and not having to depend on a man. If you want to go abroad and study, then that's absolutely what you should do and I will fully support you in that.'

I heaved a sigh of relief when I got the confirmation I wanted. Karan would not block my path, he would support me and allow me to study further. Now that that was out of the way, I began to see Karan through a new lens.

'Waise, Karan, you aren't too bad you know?'
'Of course I know,' he smiled again and this time, I blushed.

'Do you want to know anything about me?'
'Well, you can start by telling me what you -'

Just then, mumma came to the garden door.

'Arshi, Karan beta, have you guys talked?'
'Yes aunty, we will come inside in a minute.'

'Okay, we all are waiting for you,' and mumma went back inside.

'So, where were we?' And Karan balanced his head on his hand, slightly titled, and for a moment, I saw him there. Darshan sitting just like he did in that photo staring at me, waiting for me to speak. My throat began to choke a little, and I knew I would cry if I said anything.

'Are you okay Arshi?'
I nodded my head.

'Okay, well maybe you can ask me later. Aur ab baatein to hoti rahengi, am I right?'
I nodded again, and this time smiled a little so that Karan wouldn't think that I am mad.

'Alright. So what do you think? Haan ke haan?'

I looked at him.
FLASHBACK - One year ago

When I turned to go away, Darshan screamed after me,
'So, what do you think? Arshu, tell me na!'

I was smiling internally but I didn't want him to see it so I kept walking. He also ran behind me and held my hand, turning me around.

'Darshan, stop it! What do you want me to say?'
'Come on, Arshi. Haan ke haan?'

I looked elsewhere, trying to shift my focus and also irritate him a little more.
'Arshi, tell me. Do you like me?' He had said sounding a little irritated, just like I had wanted him to.

And then, I had looked at him and smiled. Not in a mocking way but in an amused, shy way and without saying anything, ran away from there.

I hadn't looked back once. But even then, I knew that he had smiled widely, ran his fingers through his hair and then jumped as if he had won something precious.

Flashback ends

'Haan.'