13.

-Flashback-
'So, why are we sitting in your car at 10 in the night, instead of being with everyone else again?'
'I thought that we could sit and talk in peace and get to know each other better. We haven't talked much since we first met.'

I remained silent while thinking about what he said.

'Don't you think it's important to know more about the man you will be marrying in less than a week?'
'Well, yes, I think that's fair. So, what do you want to talk about?'

Karan shifted the gear and started driving and asked me to put on my favorite song. So I played one of Darshu's song and we sat in silence for a few minutes. I didn't know what he was thinking but if he was waiting for me to speak first, I decided to take him up on this offer.

'This song is my favorite because it's by my best friend - Darshan.'
'Oh wow. I have heard some of his songs before. You have a very famous friend!'
'Yes, he is a great singer. But an even better friend, I think.'

Karan smiled and nodded and then we wen't silent again. I could tell that there was something going on in his mind but couldn't tell what.

'Arshi, you know I wanted to talk to you about something very important. That's why I really called you out today.'
'Go ahead. What's up?'
'Remember how I told you I was meeting investors for my startup? Well, they are based in Delhi and they fund all their projects around that area due to some logistics.'

I hummed, not understanding what he was trying to say but listening all the same.

'So, basically they agreed to fund my project, if I am able to move to the Delhi area for a few years to set base.'

I was silent for a moment and when I realized what he was saying, I couldn't help but smile. Karan was very young but he was achieving his dreams and that always made me happy to seem- maybe because I also hoped to one day live my goals and dreams.
'That's amazing Karan! Congratulations! I know this much be such a big, big opportunity for you and I am so proud of you.'

Karan smiled, a little hesitant and said, 'Well, it is a big moment and I wanted to share it with you before I told anyone else.'

I felt one of those 'butterflies in my stomach' feeling. He wanted to talk to me before he told anyone else. That was his way of showing how important I was to him. I was admiring Karan and thinking about what good news it was, when he held my hand.

'But Arshi, there is a small issue. They are interviewing many startups recently, and the offer is only valid if we move within the next month.'
'That's manageable. We are just starting out, so we won't have a lot of stuff to worry about. I think it will be okay, don't worry.'

I patted his hand on my hand, and smiled.

'Arshi, you don't understand. We will be there for 2 years and maybe more if the business picks up - which I am sure it will.'
'Karan, I told you it's fine, it's not a big-,' That's when it hit me.

My internship and residency in Canada.

It was to start in 3 months and we had planned to move there a few weeks after our marriage to allow some time to settle down. If Karan was moving to Delhi, that meant that I would have to leave my residency.

'My residency. I will have to leave that, won't I?'

'I am sorry Arshi. I know I promised that I will support you and we will live in Canada to complete the program but this is very essential for my career and I really won't find an opportunity like this.'

I sat back and looked outside the car. My brain was elsewhere though. I had worked so hard for this and now I couldn't back out.

'Arshi, I promise I am doing this for us. Once my business picks up, we will be able to live a very comfortable life. And you can still study in Delhi, I will personally speak to some people to transfer you to the top programs.'

I couldn't speak. Just when I thought that Karan was a good choice, the right choice, and I was starting to like him more and more, this had to come in between all of it.

'Karan, can we please go back home? I don't feel too good. I think it's because I have been sitting all day.'
'Arshi, I am sorry, please, just talk to-'

'Karan, I don't want to talk right now. Please, let's just go home.'

I pulled my hand back and looked outside my window, to avoid looking at him. I know he was looking at me, waiting for me to say something.

But I needed time to digest this news and think about my options. But even as I sat there trying to think about what I should do, I already knew what I would choose in the end.