16.

Suddenly, I feel very nauseous and run to the bathroom to throw up.

This has never happened before. Maybe it was something that I ate yesterday....but it was all home cooked and nothing unusual. I try not to think too much about it - I have a very busy day today and I better get started on my work for the day.

—-
Darshan's POV
'Darshan! The new album is doing really well! Congrats bhai!'

I turned around, pausing the new sample I was listening to and closed my phone.

'Thank you yaar. Wouldn't have been possible without you all and the team.'
'Areyy, bhai, itna emotional?'

Shyam bhai reached over to hug me. We had been working for the last few months on a new album which had released 2 days back and 5 out of 8 songs were already in the Top 10 charts with the other songs also doing better than any other album I had released. I was really proud of myself and the whole team for working so hard.

'Accha, listen. I have an idea. We should all take a break to celebrate!'
He pulled back from the hug and smiled, 'Fantastic idea. A break is much needed to get inspired again. And biwiji has been wanting to go on a family trip for a long time. Sahi idea hai!'

'Then it's decided. We all will take a break for the next two weeks. Please, sabko bata dena?'
'Why? You have a flight to catch or what? We just decided to plan this man.'
'Something like that. Ok, I have to leave now but keep me posted! Ok, bye.'

Shyam bhai looked as I hurriedly picked up my jacket and phone and rushed out of the studio.
He was right - I did have a very important flight to catch and someone to meet.

—-
As soon as I came home, I threw my jacket and phone on the sofa and went to my bedroom.
I knew it was somewhere in one of the drawers in the table. Throwing all the junk littering the drawers on the bed, I tried to find that envelope.
And then, sitting at the bottom of the drawer, still sealed, I took it out.

Nothing had changed in the last two years. My heart still pounded like crazy when I held that envelope and it felt like it would literally burst out of my chest, as I opened it, touching the pink and gold lining of the paper inside.

It is our heartfelt pleasure to invite you to the wedding ceremony of:
Daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Mehta,
Arshi Mehta
With
Son of Mr. & Mrs. Sharma,
Karan Sharma

We look forward to seeing you join this union of love and respect as Arshi and Karan become tied with each other through the bond of holy matrimony.

I clenched my jaw, not being able to read further. Tears clouded my eyes and I looked away to compose myself, and take a few deep breaths.
When I looked again at the invitation letter, I searched for an address - written in the same beautiful font at the back of the invite.

I had avoided this for two years, waiting for the right time. But it had to be now. Arshi had messaged me during the last two years and I had avoided replying to most of her messages.

I always thought that if I just ignored it, it would go away. But this was so much deeper than that. And now, I just had to admit that I was completely, deeply, truthfully, and respectfully head over heels for my best friend of more than 10 years.

After sitting for a few minutes, tracing my finger over her name again and again, I got up, booked the flight ticket and started packing my bags.

I had to face this truth now or it would be too late and I would lose forever the thing that was most dear to me.