Chapter 10: The definition of love

The warm glow of the setting sun painted the sky in hues of orange and purple as Avan and I stood under the tall oak tree. Its gnarled branches, reaching towards the heavens, cast long shadows across the grassy field. A gentle breeze rustled the leaves, creating a soft, whispering symphony that seemed to echo the unspoken thoughts swirling in my mind.

"Hey, sleepyhead, let's ride the swings. It's what you want, right?" Avan said, his voice a warm melody that broke through the quietude. He gracefully took my hand, his touch sending a familiar warmth through my veins. As we walked towards the swings, I felt a familiar tug of apprehension. I loved the exhilarating feeling of soaring through the air, but the fear of letting go, of surrendering to the unknown, always lingered in the back of my mind.

Avan, sensing my hesitation, squeezed my hand reassuringly. "Don't worry," he said, his eyes sparkling with a mischievous glint. "I'll be right here, catching you if you fall." His words, laced with a comforting familiarity, eased my anxieties.

We reached the swings, their chains glinting like silver in the fading light. The familiar creak of the metal as Avan pushed me off, the rush of wind in my hair, the feeling of weightlessness as I soared through the air - it all came flooding back. The world seemed to shrink, leaving only the rhythmic sway of the swing and the sound of Avan's laughter echoing in my ears.

As the clock strikes 5 and the sun dipped below the horizon, casting the world in a soft, ethereal glow, we slowed to stop on the swings. The familiar rush of adrenaline still pulsed through my veins as Avan and I made our way to a quiet spot above the swaying grasses. The sunset air was filled with the sweet scent of wildflowers, and the distant chirping of crickets added a melodic backdrop to our shared moment.

Sitting side by side, I felt a comforting warmth as I leaned my head on Avan's shoulder. The gentle rise and fall of his chest, the steady beat of his heart beneath my ear, anchored me in a world that felt both surreal and achingly real. In the soft view, with the colors of dusk painting the sky in shades of pink and gold, I found myself lost in the depths of Avan's gaze.

"Steff," he began, his voice a low rumble that sent shivers down my spine. "I've been wanting to tell you something for a long time."

My heart pounded in my chest, a mixture of anticipation and fear swirling within me. "What is it, Avan?" I whispered, my voice barely audible.

He turned his head slightly, his eyes searching mine. "I love you, Steff," he confessed, his voice filled with a raw emotion that left me breathless. "I've loved you from the moment we met, and every day since then, that feeling has only grown stronger."

A wave of relief washed over me, followed by a surge of happiness that threatened to burst from my chest. "Avan," I breathed, my voice choked with emotion. "I know, Avan. From the moment we went to that wedding, I knew you felt the same way as I did. I love you too. I've loved you since the moment we met, even though it was only a short time ago. The things you've shown me, the experiences we've shared, they mean the world to me. It feels like we've known each other for a lifetime, even though it's only been a few days. The love you've shown me goes beyond those days, it's something deeper, something that transcends time."

"Thank you, Steff," he whispered, his hand gently cupping my cheek. "I'm willing to do anything for you. I'd catch a flight and go to the moon, lay on the floor of your living room, talk about the things that make you cry, and I'd go to hell and back if I have to, Steff. I'll do anything for you."

"I don't know what I did to deserve someone like you, Avan," I whispered, my voice trembling with emotion. "You've shown me how beautiful the world can be, even in the simplest things. These past few days have felt like a year, a year filled with laughter, adventure, and a love that feels like it's always been there, waiting to be discovered. You've painted my monochrome life with vibrant colors, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm willing to spend my entire life with you, Avan. Every single day, every single moment, I want to be with you. You are my everything."