Chapter 10: Mutation

When I woke up, the first thing I felt was fear. I sat up and instinctively reached for my holster, only to find it empty. I saw my gun on the floor by my side, just feet from that thing I shot. Then came the pain. Searing, unbearable pain. I put my hand on my neck only to feel something other than my own skin. Something is burning hot. I reflexively pull my hand away and can see that my fingers have been burned slightly, like putting my hand on a hot stove. The pain hasn't gone away, but the confusion somewhat takes my mind off it. I look around, trying to find something to explain my burns, and nearly jump out of my skin when I see another demon standing there, leaning against the counter. I scramble back, grabbing my gun and firing at the demon's chest, only to hear the click of an empty magazine. I started to hurry to my feet, but I realized something was off. All the other demons are crazy, almost animalistic, but this one... it was looking at me calmly. It was thinking. It was-

"So, you can see me now?"

"..."

I don't respond at first, sitting there in stunned silence, still propping myself up with the countertop.

"It seems I broke him... I suppose it should be expected. I am not like the other demons you have met. I am very much aware, not some crazed, raving beast."

I continue to stare. What do I even say to this? Is it some kind of trick? Did I just completely lose it? As my mind is reeling, the demon lets out a deep sigh.

"After everything you've been through, I thought your mind would have been more resilient by now... Nonetheless, my name is Eldridge. You don't know who I am, but I know you very, very well. If you understand me, nod your head."

I nod, just to buy myself time to think of a way out of this.

"Now, I understand you, so it seems only fair that you understand me. I do not care about you. I do not care for the wellbeing of you or the people around you. The only reason you are still alive is in the interest of a good story."

"A good story... You just want to see people die? That doesn't seem like much of a story, does it?"

"You misunderstand. I'm not interested in them; I'm interested in you. As I said, you don't know me, but I know you very well. I have been around from the beginning—your beginning. Since the day you were born, I've followed you. Only now do we meet face-to-face. If my wits were still about me, I may even be happy to speak to you."

"I don't believe you. I don't have much of a reason to... Every demon before you just wanted to rip me apart."

"Oh, believe me, I do too. However, unlike those others, I have a quite important distinction: I have sentience and awareness. I have control over myself. I'm sure you're asking yourself what makes me different, and, well, I can answer that in time. For now, however, I believe you should be more worried about that demon who seems to be getting back on her feet."

I whip my head around to see the demon before stumbling to its feet, supporting itself on the countertop. I almost reach for my gun, but it's out of ammo. There is no use in it.

"Don't worry, you've got time before she's fully up and attacking. You might want to look for something to protect yourself with quickly. You can't outrun her, you know."

I start digging through the nearby rooms, looking for anything I can use to fight back. I grab a couple things from nearby drawers before turning and seeing the talking demon nonchalantly leaning on the doorframe.

"A scalpel makes sense enough, but why gauze? Plan on wrapping yourself up after she rips you apart? I'd recommend something heavy and blunt instead."

"Why are you helping me?! I thought you didn't care about my well-being!"