Chapter 7: A Monster, Anomaly

Underground in the dungeon, Fryne lay beneath the rubble, her beautiful figure marred by wounds. Her once perfect, beautiful body was now disfigured from the fierce battle with the sage.

Duncal, in an more dire state, limped toward the old man whose head lay bashed against the floor. Despite his grievous injuries, rage burned in his eyes as he stared at the old man's eyes corpse.

Grabbing his severed hand, Duncal approached Fryne, who was barely conscious. "Get up," he said, nudging her. "Hey... Get up."

Seeing no response, he gritted his teeth and kicked her. The jolt of pain snapped her awake, and she coughed blood, her eyes opening wide in agony. She tried to speak, but no sound emerged. Her arms were filled with wounds, and horror filled her eyes as tears welled up.

"Get up, bitch. No time to waste... Let's go back," Duncal barked, pausing to show his severed hand. "I had it worse, so don't be a baby."

She glared at him, her eyes filled with bloodshot madness and anger. She wanted to mock him, but she couldn't.

Duncal's mask had broken, exposing the lower part of his face.

From a distance, a cloud of smoke magically appeared, forming a portal. Out of it stepped multiple Guardian-robed members and another figure, distinct in more shiny garments, wielding a single blade. His long ears, marked him as an elf.

"What took you so long?" Duncal asked.

The elf surveyed Duncal's sorry state and spoke, "You failed."

"I'm dying here, and that's the first thing you'd say?" Duncal's anger was evident.

A tense silence filled the room, making the other members tremble. One bravely spoke up. "Master Duncal, the Duke wants to have a word with you," he said, head bowed and sweating bullets.

Seeing the member's bravery, the elf smiled. Duncal, annoyed, growled, "At least get me healed first."

Fryne struggled to stand, coughing blood, gesturing for help as well. She also needed immediate medical attention.

"Well, at least you did better than her," the elf said. Fryne snapped, shooting multiple shards of ice at him. The elf sidestepped effortlessly dodging.

"Now, now, you wouldn't want to scar this beautiful face, right?" he mocked, showing off his flawless visage, fueling Fryne's rage.

"That's enough. Let's go," Duncal commanded, heading straight for the portal.

"What happened to your tone, Duncal? You seem different," the elf noted.

"I'm not in the mood," Duncal muttered as he stepped into the portal.

Grinning at Fryne, the elf said, "Go. We still have some business here."

Grumbling on her steps, she leaves annoyed. But tried to sneak a punch at him. Then missing an inch as he easily circle again.

As soon as they were gone, the elf commanded the members, "Quick, locate the Void Storage and the magic altar."

"Yes, sir!" they shouted before dispersing.

While waiting, the elf spread his mana throughout the area. Trying to read what happened to the magic cicuits "It's worse than I thought," he mused. The protective magic of the base was haywire, severed, and distorted. He couldn't believe it.

"What could have done this?" he wondered. When they received the alarm, the connection had broken down simultaneously. "To think they can destroy the master's magic circuit... We must make that power our own."