Chapter 15: The Choice of an Archangel

Cressida stepped away from Michael, a chilling smile spreading across his face. As he moved, a light blue wall-like force surrounded him and the group of students. The bullies, now trapped within this ethereal barrier, watched in horror as Cressida's power manifested around them.

"Everyone will know what it feels like to lose their other part," Cressida declared, his voice cold and resolute.

Michael stood, torn between two impossible choices. He was a warrior angel, trained for combat and duty, not for navigating the turbulent seas of emotion. He had always kept his feelings at bay, focused solely on his divine mission. Now, faced with the reality of Cressida's transformation, Michael realized he had underestimated the boy's potential for both power and pain.

It felt as though Michael was being challenged by his creator, a test of his own development as an archangel. If he chose to save the students inside the building, he would be betraying King Elliot by failing to stop his son's descent into darkness. If he chose to focus on Cressida, he would be condemning countless innocent lives within the school to death.

The weight of his decision pressed heavily upon him. He closed his eyes, took a deep breath, and made his choice. He would save both.

Michael calmed himself, the angelic sigil appearing beneath his feet, glowing with celestial light. Channeling his divine power, he focused on the crumbling building. With a surge of energy, he began to repair the structure, the walls mending and the foundation solidifying. The terrified screams of students and teachers subsided as they found themselves safe once more.

With the building stabilized, Michael turned his attention back to Cressida. He approached the barrier, feeling its immense power. He could see the rage and pain in Cressida's eyes, the sword in his hand glowing with an intense blue light, radiating with incredible power. Each step he took toward the cowering students was filled with purpose and anger.

Michael pressed his hands against the barrier, trying to break through. But even his considerable strength and divine power couldn't penetrate it. Desperation crept into his heart as he watched Cressida advance.

"Cressida!" Michael called out, his voice echoing within the barrier. "Stop this. Orpheus wouldn't want this."

Cressida paused, the words cutting through his anger. He turned to face Michael, his eyes filled with a storm of emotions. "Orpheus is gone because of them. They need to pay."

Michael's gaze softened, his voice filled with a genuine plea. "I understand your pain, but this isn't the way. Violence will only lead to more suffering. Orpheus wouldn't want you to become what you despise."

Cressida's grip on the sword tightened, his resolve wavering. Michael stepped closer, his hands still pressing against the barrier. "I promise, Cressida, I will do everything in my power to find Orpheus and bring him back. But you must stop this. Don't let anger consume you."

The barrier flickered, reflecting the turmoil within Cressida. Michael continued, "You have the power to choose, Cressida. Choose to be the person Orpheus believes you are. Strong, kind, and just."

Cressida's breathing became ragged, his eyes darting between the terrified students and Michael. The sword in his hand began to dim, its blue light fading as doubt and reason fought against his rage.

"Please, Cressida," Michael urged. "Let me help you. Let us find Orpheus together."

Tears welled up in Cressida's eyes as he struggled with his emotions. The barrier around them began to wane, the light blue force dissipating. The sword in his hand vanished, leaving only the echoes of his anger.

Michael stepped forward, reaching out to Cressida. "You are not alone, Cressida. We will face this together."

Cressida fell to his knees, his shoulders shaking with sobs. Michael knelt beside him, wrapping his arms around the boy, offering comfort and solace. The storm above began to clear, the dark clouds parting to reveal the bright morning sun once more.