Nico

Why did he have to come to this party?

Why is Piper so convincing? She made it sound like this would actually be fun.

Yeah, right.

Socializing? With people?

That was not Nico's definition of fun.

So, he followed Piper and Jason around for a bit. He didn't really talk.

You know how people can be dry texters?

That was him when he was talking.

Texting? He left most people on read.

After about twenty minutes- which felt more like twenty hours- Nico wandered off and sat in a corner by himself. He could just leave, but he promised Piper.

He didn't want to let her down, because that would let Jason down, and nobody wants to deal with that.

He just played games on his phone for a bit, and texted Hazel to complain about how terrible the party was.

Hazel sent back a selfie of her and Kayla and some other girls making cupcakes.

Nico was very jealous. He wanted to be making cupcakes right now with a Solace.

He gave up on his phone and wallowed in self pity, until someone came up to him.

The one and only Will Solace.

"Can I sit here?" Will asked.

Nico looked up. "Oh. It's okay, everyone else is over there." He gestured vaguely.

"I want to sit next to you, though."

Nico picked at his fingernail, reddening. "Can't imagine why."

Will slid down, criss crossing his legs. "Because I don't know who else to sit next to," Will said.

Nico furrowed his brows. "Anyone. You're friends with everyone, aren't you?"

Will sighed. "I guess. But maybe that's the problem."

Nico cocked his head.

"Well, who do I choose? I'm friends with everyone, sure, but then I don't know who to sit by or eat lunch with or whatever. Everyone seems to have their people, and I'm just... there, you know?"

Nico had never really thought about that. Like, who doesn't want to be friends with everyone?

But if you're stuck choosing, or worrying about what those people would think... it's hard.

Nico just talked to his friends and sister at school. If he had a class where he didn't have his friends, he would sit at the back and not talk to anyone. It was simple.

But for Will, it wasn't that simple. He had friends in all of his classes, but those friends all seemed to have other, closer friends.

He couldn't just sit at the back and not talk to anyone, because then everyone would be like, "Will, what's wrong? Are you okay?" just because he was quiet.

And if he said no, he wasn't okay, it would just be awkward, because everyone just pretends they're fine when they get asked that question. No one actually cares or wants a real answer to that question.

But literally everyone loved Will.

Nico smiled at him. "You're not just there. You light up the room whenever you walk in one. You brighten everyone's day."

Will turned to him, confused. "Really?"

"I don't think a single person could say the words, "I hate Will Solace."

🐦‍⬛🐦‍⬛🐦‍⬛🐦‍⬛🐦‍⬛

"I hate Will Solace," Nico grumbled.

Will had roped him into going over and talking to people, which had led to a game of truth or dare, which resulted in Will and Piper giving him a makeover.

He had thirty mini ponytails in his hair (with multicolored elastics), winged eyeliner (that actually did look good), hot pink lipstick, and glittery gold eyeshadow.

Everyone applauded. "Jason, your turn!" Piper decided.

He groaned, but complied.

"I look like a hedgehog," Nico said to Will.

"Nah, it's beautiful. I did a wonderful job."

"If you really think so, then I get to duplicate it in your hair," Nico said with a grin.

"Fineee."

Nico put forty ponytails in Will's golden hair, all with black elastics.

"Stunning," he decided.