chapter 1

MADDY POV

"Where is she?" I asked myself while searching every nook and cranny to find my cat.

My comfort zone, aka my cat Kiara, was missing. That just added fuel to the fire. Prior to this, I had been driving home in tears. I had broken up with my boyfriend three months ago. But why do I still feel like breaking down every time I see him?

**EARLIER THAT DAY**

I attended a party that my friend Ava had invited me to. It was her birthday party, and she invited a whole bunch of people. She rented a chalet and decorated it with balloons and party lights. The room was dark, and the only lights available were the ones she used for the party. The colors were changing between blue, purple, and pink.

I went over to Ava and gave her the gift I had recently bought for her. It was wrapped in blue wrapping paper, which was her favorite color. I gave her a dress that she could wear to parties since she always liked going to clubs and hosting parties. She thanked me for the gift, and I walked away, finding the drinks.

I found the kitchen, where all the food and drinks were located. I grabbed a plastic cup off the counter and scooped some fruit punch into my cup. I took a sip of the drink and realized it had alcohol in it. I didn't mind getting wasted. Tonight was a good night to party and take my mind off work and life problems.

I danced to the party music and swayed my hips. My dress was short, and my makeup was on point. My hair flowed as I danced. People started dancing along with me and hyped me up. I was enjoying myself at that party. I looked at the people as I danced, and they all had smiles on their faces.

However, as I was looking, I saw a vaguely familiar person in the back. That person was holding a girl on the counter of the kitchen. I stopped dancing and went to look closer. I immediately stopped when I saw who it was. It was my ex-boyfriend, Adam, and another girl. They were so close. He was in between her legs, and they were basically almost about to kiss. I left the party as soon as possible.

I drove home in tears. What just happened? Was I dreaming? Am I too drunk? Why do I feel like there's a knot tied in my chest? I questioned myself as I sat in my car, driving as fast as I could to get home. Once I reached my house, I took off my heels and ran straight to the bathroom. I splashed my face with water to wake myself up.

"Please tell me I was dreaming.." I sobbed.

I took a quick shower and put on my big hoodie that Adam gave me and shorts. I called out to Kiara to get some comfort. I wanted to cry all night. But when I called her name multiple times, she didn't come. I tried searching my whole house for her but to my dismay, she was nowhere to be found. I sat down on my bed, crying hysterically. Why was this happening to me?

Suddenly, Kiara came out from under my bed and laid down beside me. I was shocked and immediately laid down beside her. Stroking her soft fur made me feel so calm. But as I stroked her fur, I felt as though my heart was literally about to explode. My eyes were becoming sore, and my nose was filled with mucus. I cried in Adam's hoodie, remembering the scene at the party.

Don't wanna know if you're looking into her eyes. If she's holding onto you so tight, the way I did before.