chapter 11

" really" Maisie says to Minho and Thomas. 

"It's true," Minho says his voice barely above a whisper. "We opened a door, something I'd never seen before. I think it must be where the Grievers go during the day." he continued.

chucks eyes widened, his usually stoic expression betraying a hint of concern. "Wait! Whoa, whoa, whoa. You're saying you found the Grievers' home? And you want us to go in?" he asked, his tone incredulous. Chuck shifted nervously from foot to foot.

Thomas, the de facto leader of their group, placed a hand on Chuck's shoulder, his gaze unwavering. "Their way in could be our way out, Chuck," he said firmly.  

"Yeah, or there could be a dozen Grievers on the other side. The truth is, Thomas doesn't know what he has done, as usual," Gally interjected, his voice thick with skepticism. Maisie, a quiet but observant member of the group, rolled her eyes at the ongoing clash between the two boys.

Thomas turned around, his jaw set in defiance. "Yeah, at least I did something, Gally. I mean, what have you done aside from hide behind these walls all the time?" His words were sharp, cutting through the tension that hung in the air like a dense fog. Gally's eyes narrowed, a flicker of anger dancing in their depths. He strode over to Thomas, their faces mere inches apart. "Let me tell you something, Greenie. You've been here 3 days, all right I've been here 3 years," he stated firmly, the weight of his experience hanging heavily in the space between them.

"Yeah, you've been here three years and you're still here, Gally. What does that tell you? Maybe you should start doing things a little differently," Thomas's voice was laced with challenge, his eyes daring Gally to defy him.

Gally's response was swift and sharp, "Maybe you should be in charge, what about that?"

Maisie looks around " I mean i wouldn't mind if he was" Nobody said anything.

"Hey, it's Alby; he's awake," Teresa she called out, the words carrying a note of cautious hope.

Newt, the calm and collected second-in-command of the group, approached with a furrowed brow. "Has he said anything?" he inquired, his voice low with concern. Teresa shook her head, her eyes fixed on the figure inside.

Alby was sitting up in the makeshift bed. Thomas, the daring and curious newcomer to the Glade, moved forward, his steps hesitant yet determined. "Hey, Alby, we might have just found a way out. We could be getting out of here," he announced, his voice tinged with a mix of excitement and apprehension. 

Alby's hands clenched into fists, his knuckles white against his tanned skin as he turned to face Thomas. "We can't. We can't leave. They won't let us," he repeated, the words sounding like a desperate plea for understanding.

Thomas furrowed his brow, confusion etched across his features. "What are you talking about, Alby?" he asked, his voice tinged with concern.

"I remember," Alby whispered, his gaze locking onto Thomas's. There was a flicker of something in his eyes, a distant memory clawing its way to the surface.

"What do you remember?" Thomas pressed, a sense of unease creeping into his chest.

Alby took a deep breath, his shoulders sagging slightly. "You. You were always their favourite. Why did you do this? Why did you come here?" he questioned, his voice filled with a mix of accusation and sorrow.

"Winston, what's going on?" Maisie called out, trying to catch up to the older boy whose usually stoic expression was now etched with worry.

"It's the doors. They aren't closing," Winston replied, his voice strained against the backdrop of panicked shouts and hurried footsteps.

Maisie's stomach dropped.  everyone ran towards the maze door. then the other maze doors opened. you look around to see everyone having the same confused face as yours.  

 Thomas's voice cut through the tension like a blade. With urgency in his tone, he turned to Chuck, his loyal friend, and commanded, "Chuck, go to the Council Hall and start barricading the doors. Winston, you go with him."

Chuck's eyes widened with a mixture of fear and determination as he nodded, ready to fulfill his role. Meanwhile, Newt, a steadfast member of the group, turned to Maisie, their eyes meeting in silent reassurance. Newt gently grabbed Maisie's hands, his voice soft yet urgent, "Go with them, love."

Maisie's resolve shone in her gaze as she shook her head, "No, I'm staying with you." Her determination matched Newt's as she insisted, "Fine, okay, but stay with me."

Thomas's gaze shifted to Winston, his voice firm and commanding, "Get the others. Tell them to go to the forest. Go hide, now." The gravity of the situation hung heavy in the air, spurring a sense of urgency in each of them.

At that moment, Thomas locked eyes with Minho, a skilled and resourceful member of their group. "Minho, I want you to grab every weapon you can find. I'll meet you at Council Hall. Let's go." With a curt nod, Minho sprung into action. Maisie and Newt followed Minho, Maisie made sure to stay with newt not letting go of his hand.