: ̗̀➛ CH1 - SMOKE IT OFF!

╔═════════════════°⌜#童磨⌟°═════════════════╗

╚════════════════════════════════════════╝

                                                 . . . ⇢ ˗ˏˋ CHAPTER 1࿐ྂ

"You two, pick up the pace! I know you can do better!" You yelled, hitting the girls with your training stick to push them harder. The stick smacked their skin, causing painful winces, yet they continued their training.

Shinobu and Kanae were the children you took in after Gyomei saved them from the demon that had killed their parents. They were now intensely training to become Demon Slayers, and watching their growth made you proud.

You and Gyomei have decided to train them while also preparing them for the upcoming Final Selection. At times, you worried if they were genuinely prepared, but after seeing their efforts day after day, you knew they had what they needed to survive those seven long days.

He should have let them train much sooner.

You sighed, if it were you, you would have immediately let them begin their train. But perhaps, Gyomei is better at judging when it comes to training, even though you've been a Pillar longer than him.

"Alright, now run up that mountain and get those limbs moving!" you exclaimed, jogging beside them. They would need to build incredible strength, and you were there to support them every step of the way. After all, this was a good opportunity for you to know them better while Gyomei was away.

You were impressed with how hard they worked and how fast they adjusted. When you tried to teach them your own breathing technique, Kanae developed her own personalized style, whereas Shinobu adapted your methods to her smaller, lighter form.

As you jogged beside them and watching them train, your thoughts went to your own past - a life that was drastically different, even graphic, from most people's. It reminded you of theirs, similar yet so different. You joined the Demon Slayers not to get revenge, but merely to have a reason to live and you are thankful for the kind and accepting people you have met here.

Suddenly, a little hand appeared in front of your face snapping furiously, bringing you back to reality. "You're so lucky I turned around, or you'd be standing there for hours!"

"Thank you. That kindness must have come from your sister, hmm?" Shinobu huffed before smiling at you. You smiled back, reaching out to gently ruffle Shinobu's hair before returning to the training session.

𓆝 𓆟 𓆞 𓆝 𓆟

As the sun sank and the girls were exhausted, you spoke up. "Good job today," you said, praising their efforts. "Go rest, alright? You'll need that energy for tomorrow."