CHAPTER: 4

THIRD YEAR

All of my excitement goes downhill when I see the exam results. I'm second this time. Better than Tenessie by 2 marks only. No need to say who is the topper. Adam, as always. But I'm still behind with 3 marks. The good thing is that I beat him in biology, geography, and English literature. He got more marks in the English language (grammar), history, and math than me. I will beat him next time, for sure.

I take a deep breath. Then I start to walk towards the drama club. This year, I have planned to join the drama club for some extracurricular activities.

I enter the room. There, I spot Adam. Can I not see his face on my off days too? The sight of him is not too bad, but that reminds me that I'm still behind him, which makes my blood boil. Today is also the audition for the drama "Romeo and Juliet: A Happy Ending." Our senior, Shelly's brother. Simon, wrote the play. I want to audition for Juliet. I take a seat in the auditorium. I spot the contestant on the on the board. I go to take a look.

"What in the actual hell?" I say in a low voice.

Why the hell can't I ever be at peace? That bitch Alia also happens to sign up for the role of Juliet. Now I have to compete for the damn role?

My eyes almost pop when I spot the list for Romeos. Adam Browns? Really? I don't want to face him here either. For some reason, my gut screams that Adam will get the main lead. I have bad feelings now. Maybe this was a bad idea. This was all Philippe's idea. He said he would participate as the main lead too. I tried to find his name but couldn't find it.

"The auditions start at 5. All participants, gather around the stage." I go there and spot Alia. She looks in another direction, pretending not to see me. I look at the others. I see Adam again, and he gives me a sweet smile. I hardly manage to return it. I can kill him right now. But I focus on the lines for the audition.

After an hour, I am standing in front of the results board. It was a good competition with Alia for the role. Still, somehow, I GOT THE ROLE FOR JULIET. All my excitement is out when I spot the name of Romeo. I know, all can guess it, The Great Adam Browns.

I take a deep breath to calm myself down when suddenly Philippe comes and hugs me tightly.

"Yay, Sie, you got the main lead. You beat Alia. I always knew you were better. That's why we're friends. I love that you are so talentedd," he says.

I flustered a bit. "Where were you? You said you would also participate."

"Damn, when? I'm not into these things, actually. I'm very much unlike Adam. Do you know he joined the basketball team this year? I was shocked to see him at the practice." Philippe said.

" really? That dude is something."

"Let's go to the cafe to celebrate your achievement."

"Nah, not in the mood. The academics still need improvement."

"Shut up. You came in second. It's really good. Come on, Sie, it's been so long since the two of us hung out. You always hang out with Shelly and Bless. Wait, let's go to the cafe next to school. It's better. After school today. Please!" Phil makes puppy dog eyes.

I laugh. "Okay, you come and meet me at the library at 5. I will be there, studying. Then we will go together."

"As you say, miss." He bows, "Ok, I gotta go to basketball practice. again. There is a big match coming." He winks and goes towards the field.

I am super happy. He said we would only go together. He misses hanging with me. The spring festival is also around. But I stay calm.

Today, there is no class, but people have clubs. So we have to stay the whole day. I recall that Phil and I haven't hung out since last year's autumn festival. But it was not that fun. I try to forget those and focus on the studies.

At five, Philippe comes to take me. We go to the cafe next to school. I missed it so much.

We order a cup of espresso for him and one cappuccino for me.

Phil has something going on in his mind. My gut screams at it. So I ask him, "Are you fine? You seem to need to say something."

He looks a bit uncomfortable. He looks at everyone there. Then he smiles weekly.

"There is something I have been thinking a lot about and meaning to ask you about for a long time. But I am afraid how you will react, and this might ruin our friendship. "

"Shut up and spill it. I promise it won't ruin anything." I say it impatiently.

"I think I feel something for you; I am not sure, though. My day just becomes better when I see you. Will you please be my date for the spring festival?"

"Oh my god, this is what you are worried about? The spring festival is still almost a month away."

"But still, I need to say that I think I might like you."

"Thank you. I would love to."

"Will you go out with me, just to check if I have feelings for you or not?"

"It's fine; there's no need to hesitate. I can help you figure out your feelings. If you ever feel yes, then say to me, "

"I love you for this reason," his face lights up. Then he kisses my cheeks lightly.

Our coffee arrives, and the rest of the time we joke, and the time flies away in a blink.

He leaves me on the main road to my house. I am super excited to go to school tomorrow.