CHAPTER:5

The next day, I arrive at school in a super happy mood. Yesterday, Philippe proposed to me for the spring festivals, and he wants to date me. He may have feelings for me. It may work out.

I search for Shelly in the hallway. I need to update her on yesterday's incidents. My eyes search for her when suddenly I trip over nothing and almost fall to the ground. I was hoping my two front teeth would be loose after that while falling. Suddenly, a strong, big hand caught me from my waist. The owner of the hand helps me to stand up. After I'm on my feet firmly, I look at my savior. It is Adam. I fix my glasses, mumble a 'thank you' to him, and walk away. My day is going to be ruined now that I have seen his face early in the morning.

I once again tried to search for Shelly. But she is nowhere. Is she absent today? Suddenly, a hand pulled me into a dark, empty room in the hallway.

Once my eyes are adjusted, I see Alia and Tenessie. I try to walk out. But they grab my hand and shove me onto a desk.

"What do you want?" I ask calmly.

"Nothing much. Just tell me, How did you pull two of the most popular guys in the school at once, you boyfriend thief?" Alia asks.

"Two? Who are the two? And I never stole anyone's boyfriend like you, bitch."

"Today, at the cafe, Phil proposed to you. We saw that live. Today, in the hallway, you were doing something with those Browns. We saw you. And you stole Alia's boyfriend." Tenessie says.

"The first one is correct. but I was tripping, and Browns caught me today in the hallway. And for the record, Alia and Phil broke up a year ago," I say.

They look at each other and smile wickedly. Suddenly, the bell rings. The class will start at 10 a.m.

I stand up to go to class.

"In a hurry? You can't face us with the lies; I knew it." Alia says.

"Damn Alia, whats your problem? I don't do things like that. I'm not you to be a complete bitch and flirt. I have to go to class." I shove them aside and go outside the door. I almost have to run to the locker and take the books to reach the class.

I was shocked to see the room at first. It has two-seater benches instead of three. I spot Shelly and Bless on the second bench. Why do I have to be distant from them?

I look at them with curiosity, and they point at the first bench in front of them.

I sit there and ask them, "What's happening?"

"We have a new class teacher, and he changed all of the seating arrangements. It's what we heard. The most interesting thing is that from now on, girls and boys can sit beside each other. The arrangement is made that way." Shelly says.

"Miss Dutt is gone?" I ask.

"Yeah, I heard she's married and moved to NYC with her husband." Bless says.

"And you said girls and boys have a mixed sitting arrangement from now on?"

"Yes."

I become excited and say yesterday's incident to them. They look at each other, and then Shelly says, "Girl, I'm so happy for you. But look at the class."

I stand up and look at the seating arrangements. Some are still not here. But Philippe is. And he is sitting in the other corner of the room. He is not beside me. I look at him, and he smiles at me. I smiled back. Deep down, I am sad. We are not next to each other.

I sit and take a deep breath. "Who is next to me, guys? I ask them.

"We don't know, actually. We only saw our names and no one else's." Shelly says.

I pray to the God. Please, anyone beside me except for the two bitches and Adam.

God seems to listen to my prayer partially. Because of the next moment, Alia and Tenessie entered the class. Tenessie is on the other front bench of the room, while Alia goes to the back. To my utter horror, she has the seat next to Philippe. What is the actual joke? I feel mad.

Hope some good one beside me.

I start chatting with Bless and Shelly on the topic. I am so sad now. Not only can't I sit next to my friends or Phil, Alia is sitting next to him. They try to console me. But I am not in the mood. So I start solving a math equation.

The time goes by, and someone sits next to me. I don't pay much attention. I solve the equation and look at the person.

It's the devil himself. Adam. Again?

"Why are you here?" we both say at the same time.

"It's my desk. How come you are here? Wait, you are my new deskmate?" we almost shouted together this time.

Shelly and Bless are speechless. I look at them, but they are clueless too. I sigh.

"Look, I want to make one thing clear. I know we are not friends, but we still have to sit together. I want both of us to respect each other's personal space." I say.

"Look, I hate this too. But let's make peace in the class only," he says.

I sigh, "Let's do it." We shake our hands and try to make peace.

The final bell rings, and our new teacher comes.

We, well, the three of us—Bless, Shelly, and I—get shocked to see him. Mostly Bless.