Chapter 29

I begged Bettie to let me go home. I warred with myself for a time, panic rising. It finally came down to my not wanting to put Marie or the old woman in anymore danger. If I were to be seen walking with Marie, she could become an easy target. So even though I didn't want to be alone, I left them behind and bolted home.

The Loner said 'we' – 'we're coming for him'. Was he not either a Loner? Is it possible he's with a Pack of rogues?

Halfway to the house, I feel eyes on me, and it spurns me to move faster. My heart beats a mile a second as I practically dive through the front door, the frame bending from the force. The scents within bring little comfort, but they ease my mind even as I rush completely through to slam the door closed and lock it.

It's early, no one else is home yet. What will I do when they are? Do I tell them what happened? Common sense tells me I should, but at the same time, my gut twists at the thought. If I reveal who it is the Loner wants, they'll question why. Can I lie to their faces? Why is protecting that insufferable male seemingly so important? Just because I gave my word?

Running up to my room, the werewolf at the bookstore flashes into my head again. My fear aroused him. I know it's a thing for most male wolves, but it just seems so...abrupt...when it's right in your face. It's said that it's the fear scent that reveals just who a person is, so most werewolves use it to determine worthy mates. Fear as a whole can arouse a wolf, but a certain strain in someone's scent can draw them to that person even more.

With that man's words playing over and over in my head, I come face to face with my own fear, and become determined to control it. I can't be a liability. I'm not weak. I did not survive this long just to be cowed by a Sigma.

What would happen if I were to be caught with Marie in a dangerous situation? Who would protect her? I can't hide in my room forever, and I can't always have someone next to me to have my back.

Sitting cross-legged in the middle of my room, I calm myself and go over my options. I could tell my parents and Alphas about the stranger and who he's after and potentially break my word to Faust, but then not only would he lose his trust in me, I would probably gain another enemy. One that could ruin my whole life with very little effort on his part just because of who he is.

My brows furrow at that, dissension building in my gut, but it eases with the knowledge that there is another option. I can go to him. I can warn him directly that there are others after him. Not like he doesn't know already, right?

I blink, bringing things back into focus as a frown tugs at the corners of my mouth. Just how am I going to tell him though? Approaching him at school would be a joke, what with my sister hanging on him nearly at all times. Even the classes I have with him where she isn't around, it's not exactly private.

Not like I have his phone number either, which would make everything simpler.

Sighing, I stand up and start pacing. Glancing up and out my window has me stopping in my tracks, the variable lightbulb turning on above my head after a few seconds. It'll be one hell of a run, but not like I haven't done the distance before.

It's a long shot, sure...but the waterfall, where I'd found him on the full moon...I might be able to find him there. Even if he isn't there, I might be able to track his scent, if he's been there since.

Before I can talk myself out of it, I'm stripping and heading out onto my balcony. No one here to stop me and hours yet before the sun sets, I should have plenty of time to at least catch his scent if it's still there and get a direction. It's a start at least. And not like I have to worry about peeping neighbors.