⊹ ࣪ ˖ 02

—MERAKI

𝐮𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐜𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐝𝐚𝐫𝐤𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬— late night telephone, calling all the wallflowers i know, out the dark and into the light

(;sex, drugs, etc.)

          „𝐓𝐇. 𝐈𝐓'𝐒 𝐂𝐎𝐋𝐃 𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄...", i muttered, sitting under the tree. i pulled the haori material tighter, wrapping myself in it. i steamed at the sky, admiring the charming lights on it. full moon. beautiful.

it was just what i needed to relax. a moment of silence, captured by the sound of the treetops, the sounds made by birds, the wind and others like it. i squinted, listening to my surroundings. my thoughts, however, kept returning to the question of training.

        „shit..." i muttered to myself. just then, i heard someone shouting. i sprang to my feet and ran after the sound, tightening my hand on the hilt of my sword. this smell. t h i s  s m e l l. demon. there was a demon somewhere nearby. i focused and sharpened my senses.

          when i got there, i heard a shrill cry. wasn't it to late, right...? couldn't be. i drew my sword as i stood in front of the door. it was a small house, on the outskirts of the village. i heard several voices. they belonged to children. two, the loudest. i felt a chill run through me. i opened the door abruptly, stepping inside. and then i saw. a demon, not of some high rank. he was just about to attack, presumably, the mother of these children as they sat huddled in a corner.

the demon turned towards me, displeased that someone had disturbed him. „it's my territory." i heard. his voice was disgusting. hoarse, low and... hungry. he looked at me with his dark eyes, flexing the muscles of his flabby body.

„not this time." i said, and he snorted. children, intuitively crawled behind me. is this what toktiou was talking about? despite the dose of adrenaline, i could still feel the fatigue in my muscles. „fuck". i muttered.

          the demon violently pushed the woman back against the wall and began to approach me. „you shouldn't bother me, doll. i'll kill you and cut you into pieces. every part of your body, one by one." he said and gave me a bitter laugh.

„you have no idea who i am. pathetic. you are just an ordinary demon. like so many others. do you even have a rank?" he clenched his teeth. he moved closer to me and tried to attack, but i managed to block it with my sword. i pushed him away and assumed a suitable position.

          „first technique: bloody tears!" bloody tears is where it all began. this technique consists of a rapid succession of attacks in which small, sharp particles are thrust into the opponent's body, piercing him with pain. these particles are red in colour and resemble tears. mastering this technique involved training oneself in the maximum possible speed during attacks and the flexibility needed for sudden changes in position.

the moment the demon squirmed in pain, with a confident sweep of my nichirin sword, i cut off his head. his body began to turn to ashes. i walked closer to the children, kneeling beside them. „hey, baby bears. everything's fine." i saw them trembling. a boy and a girl. while a man, presumably their father, was hugging the frightened woman. „your ponytails are lovely". i smiled softly to this little girl. „and you have a nice teddy bear". i smiled to her brother too.

i patted them on their heads and sighed. „run to your parents, sweethearts". the children did as i asked and ran up to their parents, hugging their legs. „t-thank you..." i heard, when i was about to leave.

        „it's my job. have a peaceful night." i smiled warmly to the man, and left. i sheathed my sword and stretched as my body was captured by the cold beating down from outside. „it's time to go home..." i muttered, and started walking home.