⊹ ࣪ ˖ 07

—MERAKI

𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐛𝐫𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫—everything i went through, you were standing there by my side

(;see you again)

          „𝐊𝐔𝐑𝐎...?" i started. „The bird looked at me, slowing its flight. "i want to know what she said during her fight with obanai? i mean..." kuro grunted. "didn't the serpent hashira tell you that you should leave it alone and forget about it? you'll go crazy, yami." he looked at me sternly. "but... the point is, why did she give up so easily? i don't understand it. it's strange. didn't she want to kill obanai?" i sighed. "from what i heard what she said during their fight, she was sure she had strangled you long enough. it's a weak character, at least i think so. well, he also asked her why she didn't fight him, and she answered him that she hated violence. strange, no? a demon who hates violence? moreover, she muttered something else that she is not fond of blood either. i saw that he also hesitated, because it sounds unreal. after all, she has killed so many people. in addition, she is a vampire. he still tried to ask her why she cares so much about revenge against you and whether she does not feel sorry for all those, innocent people, but then she answered him to ask you if you felt sorry for the innocent child you sacrificed for another. her hands were shaking, she hadn't fought anyone from the corps up to that point, because she was acting quietly, on a small scale. obanai answered her that no one from here was to blame for what happened back then and that she was hurting innocent people." he paused. „besides, her main goal all this time was to kill you. this village, these attacks, these were the first attacks during which she started murdering on a larger scale. she was ashamed of it, from what she said. it would make sense, because she had her whole wrists cut. do you get it? a demon with a conscience? that sounds absurd! unless she cut herself like that o. no one is saying she's normal, right? or rather she was, because she's dead. hehe. besides, during the fight, she still admitted that she never wanted it to last this long and all this time she was looking for you. she even aspired to become more and more powerful and eventually become one of the upper moons, but she didn't want to be that close to muzan. she avoided him and his commands like a fire. when she was turning to ashes, she still cried that she had never meant any harm and that she had even buried her first victim and on top of that, she changes her flowers every week. bullshit. she hoped to arouse pity? but..." he breathed, looking at me. "once her body was practically all turned to ashes, she looked at you. and saw that you were alive. i could see in her eyes... hatred? she cried. i have a feeling that she must have been abused by muzan to agree to become a demon. i've never seen a demon behaving like this before, feeling like this. and who, instead of using his advantage, bullying people, would kill them so "cleanly", "gently", but at the same time, seeing his main target, would so easily lose his mind and attack mindlessly." he finished. i stood still, looking at the ground and trying to think it all through?

„i shouldn't have to tell you that, should i?" He sat on my shoulder, snuggling into my neck. "But i know it would make you tired and... I didn't want to do anything bad..." he began, a little quieter. "hey, it's okay. thank you, kuro. you're right, it would make me tired. lilith? i remembered her name. it was her i'd seen in my dreams for so long, it was her scream i heard in my head. i think i feel better now despite everything. i will always regret what happened then. But i wanted to hear what was said during that fight. to hear directly how much she hated me and what direction that hatred had taken her. how low she had fallen to get me and try to kill me. after all, it probably made me understand something, birdie. i have to learn to distance myself from this kind of thing, because actually, you are right. if i don't start looking at it differently and be less critical of myself, i will go crazy." i sighed. „do you promise to leave this subject alone?" he looked at me, nudging me with his paw. "i promise." i smiled at him and moved on, with a slow step. "we're going to your family home, aren't we?" he started hopping on my shoulder, excited. "that's right." i nodded. "great! i love your brother." he winked. "i know, and then you come back two kilos heavier." i snorted with laughter. "not true!" he immediately denied, offended. "come on, don't be offended, birdie. i know you like him. i missed him too." i sighed. "do you think he'll want to follow your career path?" he asked. "akito? rather yes. he's been bugging me about my type of breathing." i said. "extra! i'll be able to be his bird once you've..." he looked at me. "do you wish me an early death?" i giggled. "no!" he denied and hit me with his wing. "of course not. you're stupid!" he snorted.

         i laughed. in the distance, i could already see the roof of my family's house. i smiled, practically at once. i missed them all, but most of all my brother, because he was the one with whom i spent most of my time. i immediately sped up my steps, wanting to see their reactions to my little surprise. i was leaning against the wall next to them when i heard footsteps. softly, quietly. mum. and, well, the smell of her perfume. she opened it, curious, and then noticed me. she immediately smiled widely and took me in her arms. "yami, baby..." she said quietly, hugging me. the kuro took to the air for a moment, looking at us. i laughed. a darling bird. annoying but sweet. well, and mine, above all. "it's good to see you too, mum." i smiled as she let go of me after a long moment. "come on, are you staying long? dad went to the village, he'll be back soon." I nodded. "and akito?" i asked, after a while. "he's at his room." she smiled radiantly at me and led me inside. "i was in the middle of cooking, are you hungry?" she asked. "of course. do you need any help?" i looked at her. "no, thank you, darling. i'll be fine. and for the kuro, the same as always?" she looked at a bird perched in the open window. "yes, thanks, mum." i showed her my teeth and rushed to my brother's room. i stood at the door, knocking on it. "what's up, mum?" i heard. i quietly laughed. mum? thanks, little brother. "i don't know how long i've been mum or whose mum i am, but i wanted to say hello!" i replied, amused. silence. but i heard a noise, as if he had rolled out of bed. and i guess he did, because he opened it for me in no time, even throwing himself around my neck. "yami-oneesan~" i heard as he snuggled up to me. what a sunshine he is. i guess i had forgotten how wonderful and sweet, he can be.

          i embraced him, happy. "hey, sunshine. i got some time off, so i had to stop by and see you guys. i guess you're happy, huh?" he looked at me and nodded. "of course i am! i've missed you. you've been gone a long time..." he sighed, hugging me tighter. "i'm sorry, you know i wish i could see you more often..." i started to play gently with his hair. "yes, I know." he nodded, quietly. oh my, i think my heart just broke. "how are you feeling?" i asked. "it's fine. i'll... i'll be able to show you something?" he pulled back a little and looked at me with such strange sparks in his eyes. what was he up to? "yeah, sure." i nodded. "and what's that?" i asked. "you'll see!" he smiled at me. oh my, what a sudden change of mood. "i wanted to later, but all in all... let's go now!" he pulled me by the hand to the door. "mum, we're going outside!" he called out, on the way out. "but dinner's coming soon!" she leaned out of the kitchen, looking at us. "we'll be back soon, I promise." he replied, then added: „i want to show yami-oneesan what i've learned!" he grinned toothily, and mum merely nodded her head amused and went back to cooking. i let him lead me to the back of the house, where i used to spend a lot of time training. no... did he... oh my. "wait here." he asked and set off for the shed, returning a moment later with one of my old swords and a notebook in which i was working out my breathing technique. oh my god. kuro, did you have to predict the future?

„and now, just watch, okay? and don't panic! i'm not that little anymore." he looked at me critically.

jesus, when did he get so snarky?