~ SIX ~

NEXT DAY

MIKE'S APARTMENT

Me, the guys, and our mothers were talking to Maurice with the contracts in front of us on top of the table.

"Mark my words all the record companies that pass on you guys are gonna be sorry because this thing is going to be big." Maurice said to our parents.

"What's the name of the company we're signing with again?" Mike's mother, Shirley asked.

"Streetwise. Friend of mine, Arthur Baker." Maurice answered.

"Exactly what part do you play in this, Maurice...?" Ricky's mom trailed off.

"Maurice Starr." He corrected her.

"Are you there manager now?" She asked.

"No, I'm not their manager, Brooke's still their manager." Maurice explains. "I produce the music."

"So, what are we talking in terms of money?" Bobby's mom, Carole asked.

"Mm-hm. That's a good point." My mother added.

"Each member gets a signing bonus of 500 dollars." The boys and I exclaimed in excitement and shock.

"Are you serious right now? 500 dollars?" Bobby asked Maurice in excitement.

"And a Betamax machine." Maurice added.

We all exclaimed in joy beside Mike. "Mike, you okay?" I asked him before he stormed out the apartment. "Excuse me. Sorry." Mrs. Bivins said walking towards the door as Maurice hands us our contracts. I quickly sign it and follow her out the door.

"What's wrong?" His mother asked sitting next to him on the stairs as I sat behind them.

"Nothin'." He replied. "Mike, what's the matter?" I asked.

"What if I never get to play basketball again?" He asked sadly looking down at the ground.

"Honey..." Shirley paused. "I thought you liked being in the group."

"I like the group but... I love basketball." He said.

"Listen, there is no telling with this music where business might take you. You deserve this just as much as anyone in that room, and don't you let no one tell you different." She told him.

"Yeah, you remember when you wanted to play basketball and the big kids said you couldn't because you too short to play with them?" I asked.

"Yeah." He said facing me.

"Well, you outworked everybody and proved them wrong, you showed you were a leader on that court and it's gonna be the same thing with this." I said with a soft smile. "And think about it like this, you can try music and if you're really not feelin' it, you can fall back on basketball as your plan B."

"Do you believe us?" His mother asked.

"Yeah." He responded.

"Do you?" I repeated the question.

"Yeah, I do." He said.