~ SEVEN ~

We had been touring for at least a year now, first it started off with going back to back a few weeks to New York, then a couple of states, and eventually ended up flying out to London, today was the day that we finally came back home, I was so excited to see my mama and grandma again.

ORCHARD PARK PROJECTS, 1984, BOSTON, MA

"Welcome back home, y'all." Mike said as we started to approach the apartment buildings.

"You know, I really wish we didn't have to come back here." Ricky said looking out the window.

We walked off the bus and grabbed our bags. I decided to go surprise my mom first, I made my way up the stairs and knocked on the door. "Mama!" I squealed giving her a hug.

"Oh Laila! My baby girl! I've missed you so much." She said. "I miss you too, Ma, is Gran here?" I asked walking inside.

"Well, where else would I be?" Grandma said, walking out the kitchen. "C'mere!" She said holding her arms open for a hug. "You've grown some much! Them boys haven't tried to make any advances have they?"

"No Grandma, they haven't." I answered with a smile. "And even if they did I would've never gave 'em the chance."

"That's right!" We all laughed at her comment. Suddenly, Grandma began to hold her head and shut her eyes as if she was in some sort of pain. "Grandma, are you okay?" I asked holding her shoulders.

"Yes, I'm fine, baby, I just need to... sit down for a minute." My mom and I helped her towards the couch as she continued to hold her head. "Mama, is there somethin' wrong with her?" I asked facing my mom.

"I'm not sure, hon." She answered. "This has been happening even since you left. We're supposed to be goin' for a visit to the doctor later this week to find out what's goin' on." She explained.

"Janelle, I told you I'm fine." Grandma told my mother. "Ain't no need to go to the doctor, I just need to lay down."

"No you're not, Mama." My mother responded. "I mean this has been for days, weeks on end!" She sighed grabbing her keys on the counter.

"Where are you going?" I asked her. "Downstairs." She answered. "Me and the boys mothers are supposed to meet with Brooke. You think you can take care of your grandma for me?"

"Yeah, sure." I responded. "Good, I'll be back soon, love you, baby." She said walking out the door. "Love you, too." I said looking back at the door sadly.

MIKE'S APARTMENT

"You expect for us to split a check for a dollar, eighty-seven cents!" Bobby's mom lashed out looking down at the check. "Are you serious about this?" She asked Brooke. "How the hell'd you let this happen?

"I didn't let nothin' happen." Brooke answered. "Now I'ma tell it to you like it was told to me. It's called "recoupable expenses." He said.

"The record labels charge the artists for all the money that they spend on them. They have to pay it back because it is a loan up until they're making some profits. So, between the tour, the travel, the marketing, and promotion, and all the studio time, that's where all the money went. That's where the budget went." He explained.