3

Abigail sent me a text where she told me that she needs to say something very important. I'm waiting for her outside my house. I'm pretending to study while I'm waiting. I see her coming. I get up and smile at her. «We need to go inside. It's a very private matter, Zeke.» Abigail says stopping in front of me. I nod. We get inside and go to the kitchen. I look at her and asks her: «What do you want to tell me, Abby?»

«Promise that you won't get mad.» Abigail answers.

«I won't get mad, I promise, Abby, but why? What is happening? Did something go wrong? Tell me.»

«I'm pregnant, Zeke.»

«What

«You promised you wouldn't get mad!»

«I'm not mad. I... want to understand.»

«I'm pregnant. My cycle was supposed to come a few days ago and wasn't arriving. You know it's always on time. I went to buy some pregnancy test. Eight, to be precise. All of them were positive. I... don't know what to do.»

I stay silent for a second and then say: «We are keeping the baby. I think Eli and Ginny will help us. Same thing for Aarie and Ruthie.»

«Oh, and Granny definitely will help!» she exclaims.

«For our parents...»

«They won't accept the baby or our relationship. They will kill us.»

«The only thing that come to my mind is moving to your grandmother's house.»

«I will ask her if we can move. I'm pretty sure she will say yes.»

«Good. Everything will be fine, Abby. Trust me.»

«I know. It's... I'm just scared for everything.»

«It's fine. I'm also scared.»

I hug her tightly. I know it won't be easy, but it's our child, our baby. We didn't plan it, but we need to play along with this now. While I'm hugging her, Abigail says: «I will call granny now.»

«Good for me.» I say. I let her free and she takes her phone. She calls her grandmother and put her on speakerphone. «Oh, sweetie, why are you calling me?» Mrs Armstrong asks when she picks up.

«Granny, I need to tell you something.» Abigail answers.

«What exactly?»

«I'm pregnant. The father is Ezekiel. You met him, remember?»

«Young Ezekiel McPherson, yes. Goodlooking boy, excellent personality, a lot of ambitions and great for you. I guess your parents don't know anything about the pregnancy.»

«Yeah, they don't and don't need to know right now. We wanted to ask you...»

«To help you out in this situation. What do you need, sweetie? I'm ready to help you in any case, whatever you decide to terminate the pregnancy or to have the baby.»

«We want to have the baby, granny.»

«Good. You can move whenever you want in my house. Now, I think I'm on speakerphone and your boyfriend is there with you. Can I talk one moment with him in private, please?»

«Yes, granny.»

Abigail gives her phone to me, and I take off the speakerphone. «Go to another room, Ezekiel, please.» Mrs Armstrong says in a way that seems more like an order than a request. I go to the living room and close the door behind me. This way Abigail won't hear our talk. When I arrive, I say: «I'm in the living room. You can talk if you want.»