Delilah

Delilah was sitting on the couch ad looking at her parents. Her older sister, Abigail, had moved out to their grandmother's house the day prior. Since she decided to leave the house, now the chores were Delilah's job as the second oldest daughter, according to her father. The girl wanted to dissent, but she knew she would just earn a slap from her father and some choice words on how she was just a girl that needed to do what her father wanted her to do. It was hard not to say anything, but Delilah remained silent.

The girl got up and went to her room. She sat down at her desk and look at her computer. Delilah needed a break and logged in Facebook. After a couple of minutes, she noticed one post from one woman named Petunia Wilson. Apparently, she was one of neighbours of McPherson family and was ranting about the fact that Ezekiel moved out of his family's home. She posted a photo and here there was Ezekiel taking outside boxes with two people. One person was Aaron Fletcher, his best friend. Who was the other one helping the moving out? Agatha and Delilah's paternal grandmother, Agatha. Delilah was shocked. Was Ezekiel moving to grandmother's house?

The girl heard her parents fighting. Probably someone told them about the post on Facebook. Looking at the post, Delilah speculated Abigail and that damn McPherson boy were a couple. She started to rethink about a lot of their interactions and her speculation started to make more sense. She never noticed that before. But why moving together now? Was a baby on the way? The think of a niece or a nephew with the genes of Ezekiel repulsed her. She hoped it wasn't that, but deeply she knew that was the right thing.

She heard her parents leaving the house in a hurry. Probably they were going to grandma's house. Delilah got out of her room and found the twins walking towards their room. «Did you know anything about Abby and that McPherson boy?» she asked them

«No.» they answered at the same time. Delilah felt like they were lying to her. She wasn't sure if they knew about them, but at the very least they knew something was going on. They weren't stupid boys, but they wouldn't say a thing even she pressed them. They didn't like each other, and the boys showed it by making pranks to their older sister. They preferred Abigail over her.

While her younger brothers went to their room, Delilah started to do all the chores her father told her to do. They were a lot. She didn't know how her sister could do them all.

*******

Delilah was looking at her plate. She made dinner and wasn't proud about that. It wasn't good, but nobody was telling it. She was still learning how to cook and definitely needed to learn a lot before to become good as Abigail. She was a great cooker and knew how to make great stuff out of nothing. «It tastes horrible.» Paul said. He didn't eat a lot of what was in his plate.

«I'm really sorry. May I be excuse? My... that period of the month had arrived earlier than expected.» Delilah said. It was kind of truth. Her period was due a couple of days later, but her parents didn't know about that.

«You may, Lilah.» her father said without looking at her. The girl got up and went to her room in silence. She felt so bad because she couldn't be as good as Abigail. To the family eyes, her sister was the perfect girl. She could do everything she was trying to do so much better than her. Whatever she would do she couldn't do as good as Abigail. Her parents wanted her back to home and abort that fucking baby she was having with Ezekiel McPherson. The baby was the reason was they moved so quickly. Delilah was right about that.

She needed to talk to her sister in that moment. She needed to tell her parents wanted her back home and not with than damn boy. His family was Anglican and on the bad side of her parents. Her parents could forgive her and let live with them again. They could manage to get her a date with Reginald, that cute boy from school. He was a good match for her. Delilah was so mad about this situation. She decided the following day she would skip school and talk to her sister and her boyfriend. She could talk her out to make some bad decisions. She didn't care if Ezekiel was there with her. She could manage him somehow.

********

Ezekiel just slapped Delilah across the face. It was the second time she tried to talk with her sister. On both occasions, Ezekiel was with her. This second time it was outside the church the Armstrong family went every Sunday. She had just told her sister her life was hell since she moved out and Ezekiel slapped her. Delilah stalked her sister and her boyfriend for weeks, since before Christmas.

«Shut the fuck up. Don't you even dare talk this way to your sister. She gave up her childhood so you could be a stupid, spoiled brat. She did everything so you could live and be happy, but you cannot be grateful for what she did for you and your younger brothers. Next time you even try to look at your sister, I won't be merciful. I will kick that fat ass you have. Do you understand?» he said. He was mad. No one ever talked to her this way. «Do you understand?» he repeated.

«She needs to return home and abort the baby. It's what our parents want.» Delilah said. He slapped her again on the other check. «And I want you to leave us alone, for God's sake, you stupid bitch. As I said, if you just even look at your sister, I will kick your ass and swear to God I won't be merciful. Do you understand?» he said.

«I... understand.»Delilah said and walked away. She felt so humiliated in that moment. No oneever dared to treat her that way. She felt like she was violated by him eventhough it was just two slaps n the face. For some reason, she knew he wouldkeep up that promise if she ever even looked at her sister. She decided to notmake him even more anger or mad with her. It was the only sane decision tomake. She couldn't bare letting her parents see her being beaten by a boy likeEzekiel McPherson. Her mother would die of sadness. Delilah couldn't thinkabout this. She would make her parents proud of her. She wouldn't let themdown. She would become a great nurse and wed a great Catholic boy, just likeher parents wanted her to do. She would have a better life than her sister.