Ch 8- The Letter

HEY GUS! THIS FANFIC IS NOW AVAILABLE ON ARCHIVE OF OUR OWN, THE LINK- https://archiveofourown.org/series/4319911

The morning sun filtered through the grime-streaked windows of the flat, casting a soft golden light on the worn-out furniture. Hadrian woke up with a start, the memories of last night's dream fading like mist. It was a strange dream, filled with green lights and laughter, but he couldn't quite recall the details. As he rubbed the sleep from his eyes, he noticed an unusual envelope on the small, rickety table by the door.

Curiosity piqued, he reached out and picked it up. The envelope was thick and heavy, made of yellowish parchment, and addressed to him in emerald green ink:**Mr. H. Potter The Small Bedroom, Second Floor, 15 New Street, London**Hadrian blinked, reading the address again to make sure he wasn't imagining things. His heart pounded as he broke the wax seal bearing a coat of arms with a lion, an eagle, a badger, and a snake surrounding a large letter "H."Inside, a letter unfolded:---Dear Mr. Potter,We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment. Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl no later than 31 July.Yours sincerely,Minerva McGonagall Deputy Headmistress---

Hadrian's eyes widened. Magic? Hogwarts? It seemed like a fairy tale, a distant dream. But here it was, in black and white, confirming what he had always secretly hoped: that there was something special about him.

He rushed into the living room where the gang was already gathered. Max was tinkering with an old radio, Lily was sewing a patch onto one of Rex's jackets, and Rex himself was nursing a cup of tea, looking thoughtful.

"I got a letter," Hadrian announced, breathless with excitement.Max looked up, grinning. "Another bill, eh? Let's see it then."Hadrian handed over the letter, and they all crowded around to read it. As they did, a silence fell over the room. Lily was the first to speak, her voice thick with emotion."Hogwarts... That's a wizarding school, right?"

Hadrian nodded, still in shock. "Yeah, I think so. They say I've been accepted."Rex let out a low whistle. "Magic, huh? That explains a lot, like that time you made the lightbulb explode without touching it."Max chuckled, though his eyes were misty. "Or the time you somehow made those stray cats follow you home. We thought you were just a cat whisperer."Lily wiped her eyes with the back of her hand. "I'm so happy for you, Hadrian. This is incredible. You'll learn so much, see so many new things."Hadrian's heart swelled with affection for these people who had taken him in when no one else would, who had become his family. He looked at each of them, trying to find the words."I'm gonna miss you all," he said, his voice catching in his throat. "You've been more than just friends. You're my family."

Lily hugged him tight, her tears wetting his shoulder. "We'll miss you too, Hadrian. But this is your chance. You deserve to see the world, to find out who you really are."Rex clapped a hand on his shoulder, his usual stoic demeanor cracking to reveal a warm smile. "You go out there and make us proud, kid. And remember, we're always here for you. This place is your home, no matter where you go."

Max, ever the jokester, tried to lighten the mood. "Just don't turn into a toad, okay? Or if you do, make sure you can turn back."

Hadrian laughed, but the sound was choked with tears. He looked around the room, trying to memorize every detail—the peeling wallpaper, the creaky floorboards, the faces of the people who had given him a second chance."I'll write to you," he promised. "And I'll come back every summer. This isn't goodbye. It's just... see you later."

They all nodded, though their eyes were wet. As the day wore on, they talked about the future, about all the things Hadrian would learn and experience. They shared stories, reminiscing about the good times and laughing through the tears.

That evening, as the sun dipped below the horizon, casting a warm glow over the city, Hadrian stood at the door, his small bag packed with the few belongings he had. He turned to the gang one last time, his heart heavy but filled with hope.

"I'll never forget you," he said, his voice steady. "Thank you, for everything."Lily hugged him one last time, whispering, "Go, Hadrian. Go and be amazing."With one final, tear-filled smile, Hadrian stepped out into the night, the letter clutched in his hand. As he walked away, he felt a strange mix of fear and excitement. He was leaving the only home he'd known, but he was also stepping into a world of endless possibilities.And so, with a heart full of hope and a mind buzzing with dreams, Hadrian Potter set off towards his new life, knowing that no matter what the future held, he would always have a place to return to—a family who loved him, and a promise to keep.