Sleepover

Starry's POV:

Our living room became a haven of comfort, with pillows and blankets exuding warmth. Soft glowing string lights covered the corner of our apartment. Selene and I were already comfortable in our pajamas, waiting for Mia to join us from the shower upstairs. I lay on the floor watching the screen as Selene scrolled on the TV. "Hmm, Romance or Horror, your pick."

"Well, I'd say romance. I'm starting to like that fuzzy feeling. I used to hate romance movies, but they're not so bad after all." Her scent was sweet and soothing, and being beside her gave me that fuzzy pit feeling in my stomach. She also wore shorts that revealed more of her thighs to accompany her long-sleeve top. It was as if anything she wore made her even prettier. Selene then lay beside me, whispering something.

"So then, what's your favorite part? The build-up, the kiss, or the you-know-what?" Before I could answer, she pushed me aside, covering her face. "Oh my, I didn't know you were so bold like that."

I laughed with her, playfully kicking Selene in the stomach. "I do not!" Selene grabbed my legs and found my weak spot under my thigh, making me laugh uncontrollably. "Ha! Okay, okay, you win no more!" Our laughs filled the room until our stomachs ached and our eyes filled with tears. It was small moments like these that made this night perfect.

She fell back beside the plush pile of pillows with a softer expression on her smile. Her hand rubbed the pillow, and her thumb circled the pillow, looking down before speaking. "See, this is one of the many beautiful sides of you. You're kind to others and have many friends you haven't seen yet. It's like the love you put into the world is returned to you a hundred times. It's a shame I never realized this sooner, and this is why I—"

Mia walked into the room, a towel wrapped around her damp hair. She wore a blank gray t-shirt and long sweatpants, kneeling to us. "Ooh! I love romance! This is about couples meeting in the city after years apart."

Selene coughed, grabbed the remote, and smiled at Mia coming in to join us. "Of course! This is why I love romance! It's so filled with emotion." I could tell those weren't the words she wanted to say. I opened my mouth to find what she meant to say but softly nodded.

"Romance it is," she whispered. I inched closer to Selene, taking in her warmth. The three of us lay in different positions on the floor. Mia placed a pillow under her elbows, munching on some cake we bought at the bakery on the way home while Selene put her hand underneath the pillow and watched. As for me, I held a pillow, spooning it in now that I was sitting up before sleepiness hit my mind. I gave in to the calls of sleep and closed my eyes momentarily.

Looking around the blank void of pure white, I see him again—the mysterious figure always appearing in my dreams. His looks were always calm and loving, but this time, there was sorrow on his face, and his voice was lower than last time. "I called you here for a moment to talk to you."

"About what exactly?"

The boy walked closer. "Soon, I'll disappear. Because tonight is the night you'll gain all your memories with the goddess and your dear friend by your side." His words were sorrowful. I shook my head and tried to reach out to him desperately. Tears escaped my eyes and stayed suspended mid-air as the boy softly shook his head, smiling at me.

Despite our distance, I struggled to reach him, but it was useless. He remained just barely out of my reach. "You can't leave me! You were the part of me that made me who I am! You helped me through the winter into the spring. I won't be as strong if it isn't for you..."

"Think of this as me reaching my final rest where I belong. Deep within your heart, I'll reside along with my goddess. And you'll do the same. You'll do so much more," His words shifted to one of cheerfulness, but the hint of sorrow stung his smile as he tried to fake it. "When I leave, just smile for me. Please. Be happy with whoever the next goddess is and love whoever she is with your whole heart."