As one

Starry's POV:

"And then all the beautiful flowers left with the goddess. As the goddess slowly passed her life force onto the little prince and her flowers, her radiant eyes closed as she fell, holding onto her prince's body. All the flowers went to the sparkling world below as the goddess wished. Thus, bringing an end to their fairytale." came the words of a soft voice as my eyes slowly opened. Selene had shifted my body to rest on her stomach while I slept, and she closed the book, reading the last words aloud. "The end."

I woke up remembering everything—about Aiden, the moon kingdom, and my life before this one. "Finally awake, Sleeping Beauty?" Still hugging me from last night, I swallowed the sorrow building in my throat. The goddess and prince wanted this for us, but it still feels sad even if I get everything I want. Selene looked down and sat up, placing her hand on my shoulder. Her eyes sparkled with a hint of midnight purple as she gazed into mine. "Me, you, and Mia know the truth about our past and now. Even if their story ended in pain, they live on within us, and we carry on their love every day we live and every time we are happy."

Lifting my head, I smiled at Selene. "You're right. We have our whole life ahead of us." I slid out from under Selene and stretched, looking at the misty cityscape. "Come on, let's do something fun."

"It's a gift from the past, isn't it?" Said Selene, looking in the fridge and finding it completely barren. "Hmm, nothing to eat. Come on, let's grab something from the diner across the street. It's on me."

Who could resist free food? "Sure hope the food is good." Selene then left for the upstairs bathroom to freshen up while I sat on the blanket-covered floor, thinking about the moments in my dreams. It's like the Selene from the past is as beautiful as the one with me now.

As I lay there, looking at the rainy week ahead, my phone buzzed on the coffee table. The name read "Mama Mia," and below it was a message: "Hey, running some last-minute shopping for graduation with friends. Talk when we get back. Last night was AWESOME."

Graduation was coming up sooner than expected, and it was time to decide my future. It was sure to be by Selene's side, wherever that future took me. The sound of water running upstairs stopped, and her voice cut through the patter of the overcast rainy morning. "Starry! Get ready soon."

"Coming!" Before going up the news played on the TV. Various pictures from last night had shown people dressed in fancy outfits and costumes and bright lights coming from people's chests.

A news reporter held a piece of paper and said: "Miraculously last night thousands of residents in the city experienced a strange occurrence. People burst forth into colorful outfits and the moon gleamed brighter than it ever has in years. Lights filled the streets and lit up the night. More to come."

I ran upstairs to the bathroom, where Selene had entered Mia's bedroom with a towel wrapped around her. I removed my clothes in the bathroom and stepped into the shower, the faucet replicating the rainfall outside. The water accumulated and drained away, and I saw fragments of myself in the water's reflections. I smiled at the person I was becoming.

After the shower, I headed to my bedroom. In front of the mirror, I stared at my reflection. Okay, I need to look extra pretty for Selene. Taking out my favorite sweatpants and a light, breezy shirt from my dresser before fixing my hair. Then, there was a knock on the door. "Coming in!" Selene entered, wearing a simple hoodie and jeans. She saw me struggling with my hair and laughed, getting behind me. "Here, let me try." She took the brush and started working on my hair, humming the tune that played in the music box. Her heart got closer to mine. Its slow and steady rhythm calmed me. "To think that one night brought us together and fulfilled a promise made centuries ago." Her voice trailed off, finishing my hair.