SEVEN

Damien's POV

Damien's POV

The night was quiet, too quiet. The kind of silence that creeps under your skin and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. We had followed Uliana to this hidden lagoon, a place so isolated that it felt like it existed in its own world, untouched by time. The lagoon was surrounded by jagged rocks, the water still and ominous, reflecting the crescent moon above. It was almost peaceful—if it weren't for the sinister atmosphere hanging in the air.

As we crouched behind a cluster of boulders, I couldn't shake the feeling that we were being watched. The shadows around us seemed to move of their own accord, twisting and stretching as if alive. I wanted to crack a joke, maybe break the tension, but even I knew there were times when silence was golden.

"What is this place?" Cleo whispered, her voice barely audible over the soft lapping of the water.

"It's a lagoon, duh," I joked, though my heart wasn't in it. The eerie surroundings had me on edge, and I could tell Cleo and Red felt the same.

"Shut the hell up, Damien," Red said, elbowing me in the stomach. She laughed softly when I hunched over in pain, but even her laughter was strained. It didn't carry the same carefree tone I was used to hearing from her.

"I think I hear something," Cleo said suddenly, her eyes wide as she pulled us behind a large rock. My body tensed, every muscle coiled like a spring ready to snap. We pressed ourselves against the cold, rough surface of the boulder, trying to blend into the shadows as best we could.

My heart pounded in my chest as we peered around the edge of the rock. The sound of footsteps echoed in the stillness, growing louder with each passing second. Uliana and her group emerged from the shadows, their figures silhouetted against the faint moonlight. My breath caught in my throat as I noticed someone with them—a figure dressed in all black from head to toe. The figure's presence alone was unsettling, like they carried an aura of evil intent with them, thick and oppressive.

"What the fuck," I muttered under my breath. My mind raced with questions. Who was this person? What were they doing here with Uliana and her crew? I could feel the tension radiating off Red and Cleo beside me, their bodies taut with anticipation.

Uliana reached for the shell hanging from her necklace and blew into it. The sound was low and haunting, reverberating across the water. A ripple disturbed the surface of the lagoon, growing larger and larger until a massive snake-like creature emerged from the depths. Its scales glistened in the moonlight, and its eyes were sharp, reflecting the light with an eerie intensity. The creature's mouth opened wide, revealing rows of razor-sharp teeth that sent a shiver down my spine.

As Uliana and her group approached the creature, it lowered its head, almost as if it were bowing to its master. The sight of it made my stomach churn. This wasn't just any ordinary creature; it was something ancient, something born from dark magic.