Matsushita Chiaki: Short Story V1

Today has been strange to say the least.

I woke up covered in leaves and green foliage. On the cracked boulder beside me was a string-bag possessing a random assortment of useful items.

I was confused, slightly upset and nervous.

However, those emotions gently drifted away when Ayanokōji-kun offered me a proposal I couldn't refuse. As they say - there is strength in numbers. I was worried for Ichinose-san... but my own predicament comes first.

Contrary to public belief, Ayanokōji-kun is actually a fun person to be with. His emotional state never seems to waver but even so... I'd much rather be with him in this situation than any other guy.

I know him and Karuizawa-san totally have something going on behind closed doors. I also concluded that him and Ichinose-san must also be close... This guy. I never would have thought Ayanokōji-kun was a total player!

After traversing a little, we eventually ended up at their base of operations. It was bland. Expecting much else would be unfair. Ayanokōji-kun was preparing to leave to hunt for supplies. I was going to stay with Ichinose-san one way or another but I felt like being mischievous.

I requested that we use first name basis. It's common knowledge that you can force relations to grow closer by using certain means - this was one of them. Maybe there was a hint of jealousy too but that's not important.

He agreed rather easily and departed just as soon as he answered.

I've had suspicions about him for a while. Horikita-san isn't perfect. Her plans always seem one step short. There was the whole X situation as well which suddenly went silent.

Ayanokōji-kun... No. Kiyotaka has the looks, height, athleticism and possibly intellect too. He has definitely been holding back as well. I'm not one to pry so I won't try and press him for answers... That's a sure-fire method to make someone despise you.

Instead, I'll investigate him little by little. Then if he meets my expectations... Sorry Karuizawa-san, and Ichinose-san: but - I will win.

I was deep in thought. Blankly staring at the hurting Ichinose-san when an unusual scent wafted through the cave. Slightly concerned, I went to investigate.

I peaked round the corner using my honed assassin skills and gazed bewilderedly. Kiyotaka had managed to catch an animal and has began smoking up its fur.

An impressive feat.

I will ask him about that later but for now I should return to Ichinose-san. If I get caught stalking.. Stalking isn't the right word. If i get caught peeking at him he may void our verbal agreement. That would surely slow down my investigation.

So, that's what I did. I waited for him, acted suprised and then continued talking, probing and questioning him until the sun began to droop.

Throughout our conversations, Kiyotaka repeatedly offered his sleeping bag in trade for my lacklustre sleeping setup. I refused just as many times as he initiated.

I had already concocted the perfect plan.

The brightness outside had disappeared. Me and Kiyotaka's chatter had been replaced in a comfortable silence.

I waited and waited.

"Kiyotaka..?" I lightly called out.

No response.

Springing out of my bed, it was go-time!

I silently packed my belongings back into the bag. Removed my clothes, piece by piece, until I was left in just my underwear. Since we're going to be close to each other it might get too hot if i'm fully clothed.

I tip-toe next to Kiyotaka and gaze at his resting face. Gently leaning over, I widened the gap of Kiyotaka's sleeping bag and crawl in going feet-first.

I was tired, exhausted even. So, the moment I rested my head on and clinged to Kiyotaka's still body, I drifted into the dream world.