Chapter 7 - Smog

Something peculiar was occurring.

No matter how much I jolted my arm it was trapped, pinned beneath something, whilst something else was clinging onto me and refusing to let go.

The velcro-strap attached to me was warm, heavy and mumbling softly.

"What are you doing?" I quietly asked.

Instead of a response, I received a tighter grasp. Matsushita Chiaki seemed unwavering in her approach. She was blatantly awake, despite her closed eyelids. The more I stare, the more her cheeks turn rosey.  

Chiaki gently peeked her orbs open and smiled playfully. She raised one of her hands higher and placed atop my head. As she continued to rustle with my hair, I continued my questioning.

"What are you doing in here, Chiaki?" I quizzed.

"I was trying to sleep!" She claimed excitedly.

"Is this why you didn't want to swap sleeping arrangements. Had you already planned this?" My barrage continued.

"I don't know what you're talking abo-" Chiaki started.

"W-W-What is going on, Kiyotaka?!" A sheepish shout interrupted.

"Ah~ looks like we're busted." Chiaki exclaimed.

'We're busted'... What do you mean 'we'?

"Matsushita Chiaki from my class aided me in caring for you yesterday." I spoke.

"Believe it!" Chiaki added.

"Huh. So what's with the 'busted' statement?" Honami mumbled.

"Huh? What was that sorry?" I quizzed.

"Mmm nothing.. I guess I owe some gratitude. Thanks, you two." Honami blurted out.

"Since Chiaki was alone, I offered her to stay with us. You don't mind do you?" I called out.

"U-Uhm. Of course I don't mind.." She smiled.

Chiaki gripped me tightly as she gave a cunning grin in Honami's direction. Sparks were flying and it looked like a cat fight was about to begin. As Honami went to stand up, she immediately collapsed once more.

"Ichinose-san!" Chiaki gasped as she released my body and rushed over to her.

I wonder if she realises she is only in her underwear?

"I-I'm alright.. I just don't think I can move around yet." Honami whimpered.

"Honami, last night me and Chiaki discussed exploring again today. Will you be able to hold up for a bit on your own today?" I asked.

It's unfair on her but we need more supplies. There's rations she can eat and there is tasks she could complete whilst she waits. Ultimately, she needs more rest. Leaving her here unsupervised is really dangerous. However, risks have to be taken in order to advance.

"Maybe..." Honami pouted.

"What's the catch?" I responded.

"It's real simple. I don't want Kiyotaka and Matsushita-san sleeping together again." She barked.

"Huh. Is that all? I don't mi-"

"Objection!" Chiaki roared.

"State your case." Honami ordered.

"That is unfair to both me and Kiyotaka!" Chiaki claimed.

"Oh? So, you're on first name basis aswell hm, Miss Flasher." Honami exclaimed.