𝐒𝐚𝐦𝐞 𝐎𝐥𝐝 𝐒𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲

My eyes snap open, as my chest rapidly rises and falls. 

These fucking nightmares have to stop.

The only downside of being able to manipulate people's minds is that their traumas stay with you. The memories don't stay for long but they still hurt.

There is only one that still haunts me every night but I don't know who it belongs to.

It always starts the same I wake up in a lad I'm cold wet and naked, my body aches but mostly my hands are killing me. The pain feels like growing pains. Like when you're a kid and your feet start growing at night and you can't sleep. That kinda pain.

I try to move but I'm strapped down to the table.

The doctor looks down at me with a terrible grin, then I wake up.

Every time I have this dream I get lightheaded and my brain becomes foggy.

I finally calm down and my breathing returns to normal.

It's 4:37 AM I know I won't be able to go back to sleep so I'll just walk to the lab and get an early start.

I work in the lab alongside my sister.

My job is to calm new patients if they are freaking out.

I'll make them think they are in a safe place, not that the lab isn't safe but it's not the most welcoming.

When I finally get to the lab I sit at the computer. I log myself into the database and play some music.

To start my day I wipe down the tables and counters. Then I lay out the medical instruments and bed sheets.

When that is all done I get an early start on some medical paperwork.

We like to keep a log of everyone who comes to the school what mutation they have and what medical assistants it may require.

A voice behind me interrupts my thoughts

"It's very early Abigail"

I turn to see the voice behind me.

"Hi, Professor."

He likes to sneak up on people like that.

I hate it when he does it to me.

He says I have to "learn to hear him coming"

Whatever that's supposed to mean.

I think he wants me to try to expand my powers but to be honest, I'm scared to.

"What are you doing up Abigail" He says coming towards me

"I had a nightmare, the same one I keep having," I say getting back up with the sheets in my hand

"Still haven't discovered whose it is yet, huh?"

"Nope"

"Well, I hope you do."

"Thank you, Professor."

"You know you can call me Charles. Right?" He says trying to remind me that I am no longer a student

"Yes, yes I know. It just doesn't feel right."

I tell him that all the time. He's like a father to me. Calling him Charles is like calling your dad his real government name.

I'll never tell him that that's the reason. He already knows.

I can feel him when he is in my head. He probably knows that too.

"I'll see you later, Abigail"

"You sure will!"

He leaves the room after that and I redirect my attention to the medical paperwork.