Chapter 11- June

It was just a few minutes past midnight when we decided to leave the bar. Stella was a little drunk, James, Graham's friend, was tipsy, while Graham and I were the only sober ones in the group. The night air was chilly as the four of us stood by Stella's car.

"Did you guys drive here?" Stella asked, directing her question mainly to James.

"Nah, we walked," he replied, zipping up his jacket against the cold. "If you both are heading back to Graham's place, we can give you a ride," Stella offered, her words slightly slurred but sincere.

"Great, because I don't think I have it in me to walk all the way there," James said, giving Graham a light, friendly smack on the back.

"Stella, give me the keys. You're definitely not driving in your state," I insisted. Stella, ever the dramatic one, gasped as if deeply offended.

"I'm not that drunk!" she exclaimed, clearly proving otherwise.

"Sure, babes. Now hand over the keys before we all freeze out here," I said, catching the keys she tossed to me before she turned to climb into the back seat as James followed her into the car

I glanced over at Graham, who had been quiet beside me. "Ready to go?" I asked him and he nodded.

As I settled into the driver's seat, I glanced back at Stella and James who had quieted down, Stella's head resting against the window, and James leaning back with his eyes closed.

I started the car and turned to Graham, who had taken the passenger seat next to me. He was still quiet, gazing out the window as if lost in thought. The streets were nearly deserted, the soft glow of streetlights casting long shadows on the empty roads.

"Is Sky at home?" I asked, breaking the silence that had settled uncomfortably in the car. Graham looked at me, his expression softening. "No, actually. She's at her grandparent's for the weekend. They missed her," he replied, a small smile playing on his lips, though it didn't quite reach his eyes.

As we approached our neighborhood, I slowed the car and pulled into Graham's driveway. The house was dark, save for a single porch light that cast a warm, welcoming glow. I turned off the engine and sat back, the car filling with the sound of our breathing and the gentle snoring from the back seat.

"Thanks for the ride," Graham said, breaking the silence. He reached for the door handle but paused, turning to face me. There was a moment of hesitation as if he wanted to say something more but couldn't quite find the words.

"Anytime," I replied, offering him an awkward smile. He smiled back, a genuine expression that reached his eyes, making them crinkle at the corners.

As Graham and James quietly got out of the car, Graham gave a wave as I pulled out of his driveway, and parked the car in front of my house. I turned to Stella, gently shaking her shoulder. "Stella, we're here," I whispered. She mumbled something incoherent, her eyes fluttering open. "Did we make it?" she asked groggily, blinking up at me.

"Yeah, we're home," I said, helping her out of the car. She stumbled a bit, and I steadied her, laughing softly.

"Guess I am a little drunk," she admitted, her eyes twinkling with amusement.

"Just a little?" I teased. Stella leaned her head on my shoulder and sighed, a contented smile on her face. "That was a good night, except for that asshole," she said, her voice filled with a mix of nostalgia and warmth. "Yeah, it was," I agreed, as we walked in and closed the door behind us.

Stella immediately sprawled out on the couch with a contented sigh. I headed into the kitchen, returning with a glass of water, and picked up a blanket on my way to her, which I draped gently over her shoulders. She murmured a soft thanks, already drifting off.