Chapter 7- Graham

"Let's set that aside for now. June, how long have you been living here?" I asked, eager to keep the conversation flowing.

"Almost four years now," she replied, her voice steady but offering no further elaboration.

"That's quite a stretch," I observed, and she turned her head slightly, offering a hum in response before looking away.

As I studied her up close, I realized that June was one of the most striking women I had ever encountered. Beyond her undeniable beauty, there was an enigmatic allure in the way she spoke and listened—a magnetism that drew you in, making you yearn for the very attention you didn't know you needed until she gave it. Her effort to temper her words, to be considerate of me, made me want to hold on to the moment, to keep her from slipping away.

The thought that consumed me was a desire to know her better, something I hadn't felt so intensely in a long time.

"Why did you move here?" she asked, breaking the silence. "For Sky. She needed a change of scenery," I explained, and she hummed again, acknowledging my words.

"So, you don't plan to stay permanently?" Her eyebrows arched with curiosity. I appreciated her directness.

"Can you try not to sound so excited about me leaving?" I teased.

"Did I make it that obvious?" she retorted, her face a mask of innocent surprise, and I couldn't help but laugh.

"On a serious note," she continued, "if you do decide to move out later, you could rent it out. The market here is pretty good." Her eyes lingered on the fading sunlight.

"I'll keep that in mind," I said, catching her gaze as she turned her attention back to me.

She studied me with an intensity that felt almost invasive, and though I didn't want to overstep, it was clear she was evaluating something about me. I found it unsettling, not wanting to inadvertently cross any boundaries.

"Is there something on my face?" I asked, and she quickly looked away, clearing her throat and lowering the music's volume.

"I've been meaning to ask you something," I began, as she met my gaze again with curiosity.

"Do you dislike being approached?" I asked, focusing on her expression.

"In what way?" she replied, her tone cool and guarded.

"In every way," I said, adding, "Don't get me wrong. We're neighbors. I wouldn't sleep well knowing that my only neighbor doesn't appreciate my presence." I slicked back my hair from my forehead.

"I expected a warmer hospitality," I continued, trying to keep a straight face. Her gaze was a mix of contemplation and irritation, and I could tell she was wrestling with whether to express her frustration.

She seemed easily agitated, but her sarcasm had a sharp edge that I found oddly endearing.

"Well, I guess you have bad luck. Do you think you could get a refund for the house?" she asked, her voice laced with sarcasm. I burst into laughter; she wasn't just shy but had a dry humor that made her more intriguing.

"I'm afraid it's too late for that," I said, smiling, and she scrunched her nose, trying to suppress a smile. 

I could see her trying to suppress a smile, which felt like a small victory. Breaking through June's cool exterior, even for a moment, felt like a triumph.

"Well, then, I guess you're stuck with me," she said, a playful glint in her eyes. "I suppose I could do worse," I replied, leaning back on my hands and glancing at the wave.