Chapter 16- Graham

As the festival winds down and the last golden hues of November sunlight spill across the town, I find myself walking beside June, Sky nestled securely against me, her small hand gripping mine like a lifeline. The day, which had begun with such promise, had become profoundly unexpected.

The puppet show, which had seemed like a simple distraction in the chaos of the festival, had been a bright spot in our day. Sky had been captivated, her earlier distress forgotten as she watched the colorful characters dance across the stage. June had sat beside us, her presence a quiet comfort, and I couldn't shake the feeling that something was shifting between us.

We make our way toward the edge of the festival grounds, the music and laughter fading into the background. The air is cool, and the night is settling in, wrapping us in its gentle embrace. I glance at June, walking beside me, her eyes occasionally flicking toward Sky with a look of gentle affection. It's a look that tugs at something inside me, making me question how well I really know this woman who's become such a constant presence in my life.

"Thank you for finding Sky," I say, breaking the comfortable silence between us. My voice is softer than I'd intended, laden with the weight of unspoken gratitude. "I don't know what I would've done if I hadn't found her."

June glances at me, her expression softening. "I'm just glad she's okay," she replies. "She's a special little girl."

I nod, feeling the truth of her words. "She is. She's been through so much, and it's hard to see her struggle with missing her mom. But she's strong, and she has people who care about her. Including you."

Her cheeks flush slightly at the compliment, and she looks down at her feet as if the words make her uncomfortable. "It's hard not to care about someone like Sky," she says quietly. "She's been through more than any child should have to endure."

We reach my car, and I open the door for Sky, helping her into the backseat before I close the door and turn fully to face June. Her hair is styled in a beautiful braid today, a soft contrast to the frizzy curls she had at the beach.

"Are you heading home soon?" I ask, glancing at her. "Or do you have plans for the evening?"

She hesitates before responding, "I should probably head back to Stella's booth and help her pack up. She'll need a hand, and I wouldn't want to leave her to do it all alone."

I nod, feeling a pang of disappointment. The evening had unfolded with an unexpected warmth, and the thought of it ending too soon felt almost unwelcome. "I understand. Stella's lucky to have a friend like you. But if you find yourself with a bit of free time later, I'd like to extend an invitation."

June turns to me, her eyebrows lifting in curiosity. "An invitation?"

I offer her a hopeful smile. "Yes. I was thinking of making dinner at home. Nothing fancy, just a relaxed meal. It would be nice to continue our conversation, and Sky would love to have you join us."

Her eyes soften as she considers the offer. "That sounds lovely, Graham. I'd like that. But I don't want to impose, and I really should help Stella first."

"It's no imposition at all," I insist, feeling a sense of eagerness.

"Okay then, I'll try to make it work," June says, her voice soft but resolute.

I nodded, feeling a spark of hope as I watched her. The evening had turned into something more than I had anticipated, and I am eager for what's to come. As I drive home, my mind buzzes with the possibility of a relaxed dinner and the chance to deepen our connection.

Once I get back to the house, I set about preparing for dinner. The kitchen fills with the comforting scents of garlic and herbs as I chop vegetables and get things ready. Sky hums softly to herself as she colors at the table, her earlier excitement now replaced by a calm contentment. I glance at the clock, calculating the time it will take for June to finish up with Stella and make her way over.