Chapter 9- June

"I don't think the rain is stopping anytime soon, and I need to go back," I said, approaching Graham as he prepared another pot of hot tea. He turned toward me, sensing my presence, and with a gentle smile, responded, "You'll catch a cold if you go out in this weather," dipping the tea bag into the cup.

"I know, but I received a work email, and I have to submit my project today," I replied, lowering my voice to avoid waking Sky, who sleeps peacefully on the couch.

"If you don't mind, I could go and get your things for you. You can work here until the rain stops," he suggested, leaning casually against the counter.

What is going on? Am I reading too much into this, or is he genuinely trying to make me stay longer? I mean come to think of it, it's almost 1 in the afternoon and I have been here since like eight in the morning.

"You don't have to," I murmured, searching for a polite way to decline his offer. But he quickly interjected, "But I want to." His eyes meet mine, steady and sincere, leaving me at a loss for words.

"But I don't know... I think I've already spent too much time here. I don't want to bother you guys any longer," I mumbled, as our eyes locked in a silent conversation. His expression remains earnest, unwavering.

"I like your company, and I'm the one asking if you can stay a bit longer," he said, his voice carrying a weight that's making it difficult for me to decline.

How am I supposed to say no when he's looking at me as if letting me go is the last thing he wants to do?

"Do you want me to beg?" he whispered, a teasing glint in his eyes.

"Huh?" I blinked, taken back by his words, unsure if I heard him correctly or not.

"Do you want me to beg you to stay here with me and Sky?" he repeated, the playful challenge clear in his tone. "Sky is sleeping," I stammered, grasping at the obvious.

"I know she is," he said, his voice softening. "But I still want you to stay." He handed me the cup of tea, our fingers brushing for a fleeting moment that felt like a spark. I took a sip, the warmth spreading through me, grounding me in the moment.

"Don't you think this is rushed, or am I taking all this the wrong way?" I asked, searching his face for clarity, for reassurance.

Graham chuckled softly, leaning closer. "Maybe you're overthinking it, but that's okay. I can explain," he said, his eyes holding mine with a sincerity that was both disarming and comforting. We stood there, the silence stretching, filled with unspoken possibilities, until he cleared his throat, breaking the silence.

"Okay, here goes nothing," he began, a nervous edge to his voice. "I would like for you to be my friend," The words were simple, yet they carried a weight, a depth that left me momentarily speechless.

"You want to be my friend?" I repeated, setting the cup down, my hand resting on my cheek, trying to hide the smile tugging at my lips.

This man is indeed the odd one, this was the last thing I expected him to ask.

"Yes, that's what I just said," he smiled, and I couldn't help but notice how his dimples deepened with his grin. "Sure, we can be friends," I agreed, and his smile widened, relief and joy evident in his expression.

"Thank God, this could have been one of the most embarrassing moments of my life," he chuckled, running his hand through his hair.

"You might regret being my friend, though. I'm not great at keeping friends," I admitted, glancing down at my now-forgotten tea.

"I know our friendship will last," he said with a confidence that made me want to believe him.

"How come?" I asked, genuinely curious about his certainty.