Chapter 49

Vanessa perspective

As we reached downstairs, I noticed a group of men starting to enter the penthouse. Their serious expressions and the way they moved told me they were bodyguards. They all stood in a line, and in unison, they bowed slightly, saying, "Capo!" as they greeted Zayn. This bowing ritual was something I’d seen before, but it never got any less strange. It was like stepping into some old mafia movie, and I couldn’t help but roll my eyes internally.  "Speak!" Zayn commanded, his voice firm and authoritative. "Don is going to be here in any minute," one of the bodyguards reported. "Fine, you all are dismissed," Zayn said, waving them off. After a few minutes of waiting, a man in his sixties entered the penthouse.

The moment I saw him, I knew this was Zayn’s grandfather. He was like an older version of Zayn, with the same sharp features and cold, calculating eyes. If Zayn lived long enough, this is what he would look like. He was dressed in a black tuxedo that fit him perfectly, giving him an air of authority and power. Just being in his presence made me feel small and insignificant, like I was shrinking under the weight of his gaze. I could feel the power radiating from him, and it made me incredibly uneasy. There was something about him that screamed danger, and it made my stomach twist in knots.

"Grandfather, how are you?" Zayn said, letting go of my hand as he walked over to hug the older man. "I’m doing great, son," his grandfather replied. His voice was deep and commanding, the kind that could make anyone fall silent and listen. It was the kind of voice that held power, and I could see why people would respect him or fear him. "Grandpa, was the travel good?" Zayn asked, his tone unusually polite. "Yeah, everything was fine," his grandfather responded, his voice steady and controlled. While they talked, I just stood there behind Zayn, feeling completely out of place. I was fidgeting with my fingers, trying to keep my nerves under control, but it wasn’t working. My heart was racing, and I felt like a statue, unable to move or speak. The whole situation was overwhelming, and I wished I could just disappear. As i was deep in my thoughts, Zayn turned slightly and said, "Grandpa, meet my girlfriend, Vanessa."

He moved aside, pushing me forward to stand in front of his grandfather. A shiver ran down my spine as I found myself face-to-face with the man who was so much like Zayn, but even more intimidating. My heart was beating so fast that I thought it might explode. What should I say? I had no idea how to act or what to do. Zayn was staring at me, clearly expecting me to do something, but all I could manage was a weak, "Hello, sir. How are you doing?" I tried to smile, but it felt forced and awkward. To my surprise, his grandfather burst into laughter. "Sir? Come on, Zayn, you told her I’m a monster? Look at this fragile girl. It looks like she’ll break in a second." His words made me glance at Zayn, who was glaring at me. I knew that look all too well. If we were alone, I was sure he’d "teach me a lesson" for messing up. My heart sank as I realized I’d already disappointed him. "Sorry, Grandpa, she’s shy and introverted," Zayn said, his voice tight with barely controlled anger. I could tell he was gritting his teeth, trying to keep his frustration in check.

"Come on, daughter, call me Ronan, Don’t call me sir; it makes me feel old." Was he serious? Daughter? Why was he calling me that? The whole situation felt surreal. But before I could say anything, Zayn cut me off. "Grandpa, come on, let’s talk at the dining table. We have a lot to discuss," Zayn said, steering the conversation away before I could respond. His grandfather nodded and started walking towards the dining room, and I knew I had to follow. But just as I was about to move, Zayn grabbed my arm, stopping me in my tracks. "Cut this stupid attitude of yours," he hissed, his voice low and threatening. "Don’t even think I’ll go easy on you just because my grandfather is here." "I’m sorry," I stuttered, barely able to get the words out. He let go of my arm and gave me a final warning look before we both followed his grandfather into the dining room.