Chapter 2: Friendship

There was a moment of silence, quickly broken by Isabel's brother, Kim, commenting that those were brave words for someone of my age. I responded by stating that I was just trying to be honest about my feelings and thoughts. Isabel chimed in, expressing her appreciation for my honesty, and Helene suggested changing the topic to something more enjoyable. Everyone agreed, and Isabel, in an irritated tone, proposed that she and I go for a walk while the others played a different game. I agreed, and as we walked away, Kim wished to see me soon. I nodded with a small smile.

Isabel put her arm around my shoulder, leading us to a quieter part of the garden where we found a bench to sit on. As we sat down, Isabel sighed a few times. I asked if something was wrong, and she shook her head, mentioning boredom. Surprised, I said, "Considering what you've shared and the lifestyle you lead, life seems very interesting and dynamic."

Isabel chuckled and responded, "Of course, you would say that after what I've told you and shown you. But listen, that's not all." Curious, I asked, "What do you mean?"

She explained, "I told you my parents don't care much about what I do, but they are influential people in this wealthy life. I've always had to conform to their wishes, and now I need to figure out my own future. I certainly don't want to turn out like my mother. Honestly, I find her controlling and possessive of her money."

I suggested that with school, she could explore and decide what she wants for herself independently. I added that speaking up for herself could make a difference, and Isabel sighed, admitting it wasn't that easy. Looking at me, she asked, "If you were in my place, what would you do?" I responded, "I would prove to my parents that I could take care of myself." Isabel grabbed my shoulder, smiling, and said, "I knew you would give me an honest answer. You're so trustworthy. I can never discuss these things with the other girls. They either don't know what to say or don't care. But you, you're different."

I suggested that they might have their reasons, and Isabel acknowledged that no one is perfect. She expressed a wish to think like me but admitted it was easier said than done. Isabel then extended her hand, suggesting we make a promise that, no matter what happens in the future, I would always see the good in her. She wanted me to be her best friend, emphasizing the importance of honesty. Taking her hand with my little finger, I agreed to be her best friend and promised to share everything about myself. In that moment, a pact was made, and I felt grateful for her trust and the effort to make me understand her better.

That night marked the beginning of our newfound friendship. Isabel and I had solidified our bond as best friends, at least for the time being. After returning to the group, it appeared everyone was dispersing to either the pool or the garden. Natasha, floating on a swimming band in the pool, seemed quite inebriated. She looked at me and Isabel, giving a warning before unexpectedly leaping into the pool right beside Natasha, causing her to fall in.

Isabel burst into laughter, but Natasha, somewhat shocked, resurfaced, remarking that it wasn't funny. Isabel, with a nonchalant tone, responded, "Better sober up now than later, or should I fish you out of the water when you're drunk?" Natasha shot her an irritated smile, glanced at a group of boys by the pool, and retorted, "I'm going to enjoy myself. See you later," with a sarcastic tone.

Isabel shrugged, saying, "Feel free." Shaking her head, she turned to me, suggesting we join the pool. I declined, opting for a drink instead. Isabel agreed, and as I headed to the drinks table, I felt a Coca-Cola bottle handed to me. Kim, Isabel's brother, stood beside me, saying, "I think you'd rather drink this." I thanked him, and he casually mentioned we hadn't had a chance to talk before. Confirming my name as Zoey, I asked if he was Kim, Isabel's brother. He affirmed, adding a hint of complexity to his response. When I inquired, he explained, "We're not really brother and sister. We are more like stepbrother and stepsister; my father recently married her mother, but I grew up with my biological mother. We have the same father, me and Isabel. Furthermore, we go to the same high school, so I temporarily live with them. Hasn't she told you yet?"