Chapter 3: The Change

The day after the party turned out to be the beginning of the problem, but I only realized that now. I questioned whether I could have prevented it, but it's not my fault; if I could have prevented it, something else would have gone wrong.

My phone vibrated, and I saw that Kim had responded to my message. He said, "It's okay; you don't have to thank me anymore. But I'd like to show you a cool place. I think you'll like it. Let me know if you want to come." I pondered what kind of place it could be and decided to go for it. I typed back, "Yes, okay. What kind of place?" He replied that it was very close and suggested meeting at the school tomorrow evening.

As the next day arrived, I went home after school to eat and then headed to school to wait for Kim. The evening darkened, and I began to wonder if he would show up. Those thoughts vanished when I heard him call my name. I quickly asked, "So, what's this cool place you want to show me?" He took my hand and said, "Come on, I'll take you there." Hand in hand, we walked for a while, and he asked, "Okay, do you trust me?" I replied, "Yes." "Close your eyes," he instructed. I closed my eyes and felt a cold breeze and water. "Okay, open them." I opened my eyes to see the city lights on the other side and the bright lights of the bridge. There was a river between us and the city. I looked at Kim and said, "Yes, this is pretty cool. How did you find this place?"

He explained, "I was looking for a place to find peace and came across this spot. Not many people come here, so it's quiet. Just somewhere better than home." I asked why he showed me this, and he said, "If you ever don't know where to go, you can come here to think." I thanked him, saying it was very cool, and I liked it.

Kim shared, "When I first saw it, looking at the city, there were so many possibilities, and I felt like I could do whatever I wanted." I agreed, saying there was so much more to explore and so many people to see and hear from. Glancing at my watch, I realized it was late. "I better go back home. Tomorrow is just back to school." Kim agreed, saying, "Me too. Come on, I'll bring you back." We walked back and arrived at my apartment. I thanked Kim for showing me his secret place and promised not to tell anyone else about it.

As I was about to say goodbye, Kim asked if we were friends. I looked at him and said, "Yes, sure, that's okay." He seemed a bit nervous, as if he wanted to ask something else but didn't really dare. I started to feel a bit nervous too but tried not to show it. I waved goodbye and quickly walked in. Closing the door behind me, my heart beat slightly faster. I told myself, "Take it easy." It was strange, and I found myself smiling. I had a strange sensation every time I mentioned him or thought about him. I desired to learn more about him, but each time I attempted to discuss him, Isabel expressed disapproval without providing any specific reasons. I wondered why, but she remained tight-lipped about it. I pledged to keep my curiosity to myself and not trouble Isabel with it. Yet, an unsettling feeling persisted within me that there were undisclosed aspects about Isabel's family. I held onto the promise that, regardless of the circumstances, we would remain friends. Over the passing years, our bonds grew stronger, encompassing Isabel and the other girls. Kim and I maintained a close friendship, often meeting at the place he had shown me. We conversed about various topics and life interests, becoming confidants.

I never divulged the peculiar feeling I harbored when he was near me. I dismissed it and refrained from dwelling on it, as Kim never indicated any desire beyond friendship. And then came graduation day. With our diplomas in hand, my nanny joined me in celebration. I rushed to her, embraced her tightly, and exclaimed, "I did it, Nanny!" She expressed her pride, and when asked about my plans, I suggested returning home with her for a few days. Nanny suggested inviting friends for a meal, and I agreed, missing her cooking dearly. Scanning the crowd, I spotted Isabel with a woman whom I assumed was her mother. I congratulated Isabel, offered a hug, and inquired about the celebration meal. Isabel hesitated, mentioning her mother's plans, and abruptly walked away. Her mother, with an irritated expression, acknowledged me and expressed hope for a future meeting before following Isabel. It felt strange; what could be the source of tension between them? I attempted to inquire from the others, but they all had prior commitments.