21: The Reception

The reception

The great hall was alive with music, dance, and laughter. The wine flowed freely, and conversation drifted from every corner, creating a warm, celebratory atmosphere.

"This is boring," I whispered to Santiago, swirling the apple cider in my glass.

He laughed, his dark eyes glittering. "Why don't you go and mingle? The people are eager to know their queen."

I gazed at him as if he had sprouted two heads. "I don't do networking."

His chuckle was warm, and I noticed an unusual lightness in his demeanor, reminiscent of when we first met. A good mood for Santiago meant he had achieved something he desired. "Behave yourself. Actually, I appointed you a Queen's companion."

"I thought that was Melissa's job."

"Melissa is on an assignment for me," he replied cryptically.

I sighed and squeezed his hand. "Santi, what now?"

His gaze intensified, dark eyes glittering fiercely. "You think we could just let what Ingrid did slide?" he lowered his voice so only I could hear. "We have to quietly clean this up."

"Your majesty, may I approach?" requested Marquees Edgar Thayne. He was a handsome man with hazel eyes and a tall frame. Edgar pushed back long, silky strands from his face and knelt before Santiago and me.

Santiago signaled for him to approach. Edgar cleared his throat. "Your majesties, the Duchess Melissa is my intended. I humbly request that you relieve her of her duties to your grace so that she may take her place as Lady of my household."

Santiago leaned back in his chair, stroking his chin as he scrutinized the gentleman. To his credit, Edgar remained steadfast. "Melissa is taking care of some very important business. Once she gets back, I will relieve her of her duties."

"Thank you, your majesty."

Santiago signaled again. This time, a beautiful woman with chocolate-colored skin approached. She was tiny, with delicate, pixie-like features. She wore a gorgeous two-piece formal jumpsuit. Pearls adorned her neck and dangled from her ears, and her long sisterlocks were styled in an elegant French bun.

"This is Kallista Michaels, your queen's companion," he whispered in my ear. "Go on and let her bask in your queenly presence." He was joking, right? But, of course, he wasn't, because he turned and started conversing with Judge Michaels.

I told myself I would accept any and all conditions that came along with being Santiago's wife. This was one of those conditions. The young woman waited patiently, so I patted the smaller chair beside me. She came and took a seat, and I caught a whiff of her expensive perfume. She gazed up at me expectantly.

"So... um... Michaels sounds familiar."

"It should, your Majesty. I'm Judge Kian Michaels' younger sister."

My eyes widened. "Oh, really?"

She giggled. "Yeah..."

I looked around. "Look, Kallista. You can call me Athena. I wouldn't mind. Actually, I prefer it. 'Your majesty' sounds chafing." She cocked her head and peered at me through narrowed slits. "So you're going to be my new Queen's companion?"

She smirked. "Yes, and I look forward to it." She lowered her voice conspiratorially. "Is it true, the king abducted you from your other life and kept you prisoner?" I furrowed my brows, but she continued, not taking the hint, "some of the other women think it's quite romantic that your husband showed that level of passion towards you."