Chapter 3: The Fen-Har Wraiths

The Fen-Har Wraiths, which is to say death itself, were a specialized legion of soldiers from the Ten-Harian Empire. Taken from their mothers as early as birth, they were raised on artificial moons which orbited the planet Tebar. The Ajar galaxy was known for its chaotic and oftentimes hostile makeup. Planets which were toxic, and others whose structure seemed hostile to even the suggestion of logic, stars which went supernova and solar storms that seemed like battles between the gods. Tebar was close to the supernova blackhole, Kedar, which caused discrepancies in time and gravity, most notably of which was severe time dilation. Due to such close proximity to the blackhole, the passage of time was much slower, and the lifespan of the Fen-Har Wraiths was greatly increased. Rumors which spread through the galaxy like radiation whispered of members that may be centuries old.

The Fen-Har Wraiths would never, bar extreme or unprecedented circumstances, leave the Tebar moons. The Ten-Harian Empire would plant gateways throughout space, especially near military stations of enemy states or empires. The Fen-Har Wraiths would then activate it, transporting entire ships and legions to Tebar, where they would more often than not be decimated by the ferocity of the Fen-Har, and the shock of the warped spacetime. Other times, the Fen-Har would transport them to a nearby solar storm, engaging with the combatants in the midst of a raging tempest.

The latter had happened in this instance, when Steven was transported by some strange flightcraft that resembled a beetle to an infirmary, he was surrounded by chaos and burnt soldiers who wailed in agony. The air drenched in the odor of burnt and soon to be rotting flesh.

"What happened", Sir Hugh said, walking beside Steven as he was pushed through the cluttered and frenzied halls on a levitating silver board. A soldier wearing a blue flight suit walked with them.

"We were on bound for a possible squirmish near the Outer Rims, joint operation between the Nodeann and Anaxian space force, when a Fen-Har portal bomb was activated. Took us straight into a solar flare storm near the Tebar sector. Bastards began their onslaught right away. One of the Anaxian fleet ships was able to boom us back, but not before we suffered heavy losses."

"Fen-Har Wraiths? Near the Outer Rims?", Sir Hugh said.

"I'm as shocked as you are, sir. Fen-Har and marauders don't mix. Blood and oil."

"Were they working in unison?", Sir Hugh questioned.

"We don't know anything yet, sir, but I'm inclined to believe so. Stranger question yet is why."

They reached a room, the healers ushering Steven in. Floating, watery but solid surfaces holding maimed men filled the room, a sickly smell greeting them upon entrance. Healers stood over them, their fingers weaving through the air like a conductor, white energy stretching from their fingertips to the men like spider-webs.

"This one", the soldier said, looking at Steven. "He was caught up in the portal bomb as well?"

Sir Hugh shook his head. "No, her Lady Helen requested that he be given first class care though."

The soldier nodded his head.

"Healer Kira and healer Samuel, see that this man is well tended too. I'm putting you two in charge of his recovery process."

Healer Kira and Healer Samuel came forward, bowing slightly and putting their palm to their chest.

"Yes, Lientunent Howardson."

"Howardson?", Sir Hugh said, a slight smirk breaking out on his lips. "From the dwarf-star wars? The pilot kid?"

Howardson smiled, leaning his face down in mock bashfulness.

"Yes sir. I'm honoured that tales of my exploits have traveled so far as the Anaxian Empire, muchless fell on the ears of the great General Hugh."

"You flatter me", Sir Hugh said, not fooled by Howardson's act and amused at his gumption.