Team Buildup

Side chapter.....

Pov Julia

Johnny's team had an odd way of compartmentalizing everything, focusing entirely on the main mission as if nothing else mattered. It was almost unsettling how quickly they could set aside their worries. I was glad for it, in a way, but a knot of anxiety still tightened in my chest every time I thought about Johnny. Would he really come back alive and safe?

Trying to distract myself, I found a seat on the couch next to Blaze, one of the team members. He was absorbed in a video game, completely oblivious to the preparations for war happening around us. His calm demeanor only added to my unease, and I couldn't help but wonder what was going on in his head.

"Uh, hey, my name is Julia," I started, hesitating slightly. "I wanted to ask you why you're not training like the others."

He didn't respond, his eyes fixed on the screen, fingers moving fluidly over the controller. It was as if I wasn't even there.

"Hey, HEY!" I repeated, louder this time.

He jumped, startled, and finally paused the game, turning to look at me with a confused expression.

"Huh? What happened?" he asked, blinking as if he'd just woken up from a dream.

"I was trying to get your attention," I said, my voice a mix of irritation and curiosity. "It seemed like your video game was that important, huh?"

"Oh, I'm sorry," he replied, a sheepish smile spreading across his face as he rubbed the back of his head. "I was just... in the zone."

"Oh, well, okay," I replied, a bit unsure of what else to say.

Blaze glanced back at me, his attention finally shifting from the screen. "What were you saying?"

"I was asking why you're not preparing for war like the others," I repeated, watching his relaxed posture.

He leaned back, letting out a small sigh. "This is my way of preparing. As you can see, I don't need to train my body anymore-already did that earlier today. What I'm doing now is coping with my anxiety, calming my nerves a bit so I don't feel overwhelmed or fumble out there on the battlefield."

I nodded, understanding dawning on me. "Ah, I get it now. Well, it was nice talking to you," I said, offering a small smile before standing up, leaving him to his video games.

I decided to check on Justin next, the guy who seemed to have an endless reserve of energy as he pounded the metal-punching bag with unyielding precision. His fists struck the bag with a rhythm that spoke of both skill and pent-up frustration.

Before I could even open my mouth, he spoke, his voice steady and focused. "What do you need?" he asked, his eyes never leaving the bag as his fists continued their relentless assault.

"I just wanted to see how you were doing," I replied, feeling a bit uneasy under the intensity of his concentration.

"As you can see, I'm fine," he said nonchalantly, his tone almost dismissive.

"Hmm, okay. Well, see ya," I mumbled, awkwardly waving as I started to turn away.

But then he paused, his fists freezing mid-punch. "What's your real reason for talking to me?"

I hesitated, caught off guard by his directness. Turning back to face him, I answered, "I was just curious if you're okay with Johnny being around."

He smirked, a hint of amusement flickering in his eyes. "Why would you think I wouldn't?"

"I just found it weird how you immediately decided to work with him again. It surprised me," I admitted, feeling a bit more nervous now that we were getting into deeper territory.