xvi. not ready

sixteen ; not ready

sixteen ; not ready

( august 2033 )

IT FELT LIKE time had slowed, the time dragging as the Mikaelson Family finally entered New York City. After all this time, after everything that they've done to try and find her — all those months that were spent agonizing over the search, was finally over

They found her, and they were going to see her again. Everything was coming together for Klaus Mikaelson, and it was the first time that he had felt truly happy in the last decade. Perhaps now, he could be the father that he was to Hope to Evangelina. Maybe he can finally atone for all of his mistakes. He can be the father he never was. 

Klaus' hands tightened on the steering wheel, his nerves becoming more and more present the closer they get. He know that there's no changing what he's done in the past, and that there's no way to make it better — but there's a part of him that hopes that maybe, emphasis on the maybe, that Evangelina could forgive him, forgive them all

THE ANTSY FEELING that Eva had been feeling had been plaguing her for almost a week. It was getting annoying, and it only made her angrier and angrier. She had managed to stay away from them for a decade, her only contact being with Elijah and Kol. And now, now, they feel the need to drag themselves up here and dredge up a past that Eva never wanted to speak or even think about again. 

Eva felt so . . . scattered. The past week she had done nothing but rush throughout the compound, cleaning everything that she could come across in order to feel some semblance of normalcy. Everyone, even her own children, had been walking on eggshells around her. And she was so tired of it — the Mikaelson's ruined her life once before, she refuses to let them do it again. 

Nibbling on her fingernail, she pulls out a box mix of confetti cake — her daughters, and Peter's favorite — and starts baking. JARVIS, the absolute saint that he is, starts playing her playlist. The music loud enough to drown out her overwhelming thoughts that have been plaguing her. 

Finally, some quiet

Suddenly, she feels arms around her waist, pulling her close to the firm chest behind her. "You know, for someone who hates baking, you've been doing it quite a lot this week," Steve says gently, his chin resting on her head. "You doing okay?"

Eva sighs, resting against him, and letting him hold her up. Her ability to relax has slowly dwindled to almost nothing this past week. "Hm, that depends on your definition of 'okay,'" Eva murmurs. "If it means feeling like the walls are caving in on you, then I'm absolutely okay."

Steve sighs, pulling her tighter against her, "I know that you're scared, and you have every right to be," he presses a kiss to the top of her head, "but you have to know that you're not alone. You've got the team, the girls," he slowly turns Eva around until she's facing him, "and you've got me." 

A small smile crept up on to her face, it wasn't much, and it doesn't completely erase her fears or anxiety — but it was something that she needed to hear. It had been over a decade since everything had changed for her but sometimes that voice in her head came out to taunt her, convince her that she's alone — even though, logically, she knows that she isn't alone: she has her team, her husband, and her children. 

But still, sometimes she felt that crippling feeling of loneliness and the fear that she won't ever have people in her corner — that she won't be alone forever. It's something that quiets at times, but is never fully gone. 

"Thank you," she whispers. "If they do. . . show up," Eva hesitates, trying to keep a semblance of hope that maybe, maybe, they won't show up and she can keep her new life, "what do you want to do about the girls?" 

Steve hesitates, staring at her for a moment, "I suppose, it'll depend on what you want to do. If you don't want them around, they won't be. I'll support whatever you decide to do, Eva." 

Eva grins, "You're amazing, have I told you that lately?" 

Steve chuckles, "Hm, I don't think so."

"Well," she puts her arms around Steve's neck, her grin growing, "why I don't show you?" She presses her lips against his, genuine happiness spreading through her for the first time in a long time. 

HOPE MIKAELSON STARED up at the Avengers Tower, she was finally here. 

And she was going to find her sister. 

I'm coming Evangelina.