Chapter 12: Back to the City

Sebastian flew down the road to Zuzu City. Sam might not even be there, but at least it was a place to start. How different this ride had felt just last night, with the whole road open to him, and Penny pressed against his back. Now cars squeezed in around him, and even in the morning, the bright sun made him sweaty and uncomfortable.

Sebastian had felt guilty toward Sam all night. But seeing Maru cry this morning made him hate Sam all over again, and hate himself for not being on his sister's side. He didn't know what he would do when he found Sam, he just had to find him.

When he reached the city, Sebastian visited all of Sam's favorite haunts. Sam often went to Zuzu for the music scene and was always trying to get Sebastian to join him to see different shows. Now Sebastian wished he had gone more often, because he was struggling to remember which clubs and venues Sam liked.

"Look, I haven't seen him, sweetheart," said the bartender at The Pit, snapping her gum.

"You're sure? Here," Sebastian held up a photo of Sam on his phone.

"Yeah, I know what he looks like, the kid's a regular."

"Well, could you call me if he comes by?" Sebastian reached over the bar and grabbed a napkin and a pen to scribble down his number.

"And if he doesn't? Can I call you anyway?" she winked.

Sebastian forced a laugh. "Thanks for your help." He walked out.

That was the last place he knew to check. He leaned against his bike and realized he wasn't far now from the diner where he ate breakfast.

Sebastian was starting to think of going back home when his phone rang. A goofy picture that he'd taken of Penny at the movie theater when she wasn't looking came up on the screen. He answered.

"Hey, Penny." He tried to sound positive, but didn't do a great job.

"Sebastian? You're not driving, are you? Where are you?"

"No, I'm in Zuzu City. What's up?"

"Oh, good. Listen, Sam's at his uncle's house. He texted his mom he was going to stay there a few days. I got her to give me the address."

Sebastian breathed a sigh of relief. "That's great Penny."

"I'll send it to you."

"Thanks."

"Wait, Sebastian?" Penny took her time, and Sebastian strained at the silence on the other end of the line. "What are you going to do when you get there?"

"I don't know, Pen. I'm not gonna hit him again if that's what you're worried about."

"That's not what I'm worried about."

She didn't say any more, but Sebastian didn't want to hang up, so he held the phone against his ear in silence for a little while. Then he heard some shuffling, and she said, "The kids are arguing, I gotta go. Um, bye Sebastian. See you soon."

"Bye Penny."

He hung up and checked the address, which looked like it was near Zuzu City. He put on his helmet, straddled his bike, and took off.

The map took him to a suburb. Not a wealthy one; the fences were chain link, not picket, but it was nice. He double checked the address as he pulled up to a low ranch house half hidden by an overgrown garden.

Tucking his helmet under his arm, Sebastian walked up the path and knocked on the door.

"Can I help you?" A man with a cane opened the door. His brown hair was cut very short, and his scowl and grizzled expression made him look older than he probably was. Sebastian opened his mouth to answer, but didn't get the chance.