Chapter 22

It was a Monday morning. There was a bit of a rush in the Sharma household, but Shubman was relaxed because he didn't have to go to practice today. Ishan had already left for his practice session, but Shubman was confused about one thing, 'Why is his father still at home?'

"What's going on between you and Ishu?" Rohit asked Shubman, who was eating peacefully. He stopped mid-bite and dropped the spoonful of food back onto the plate in front of him.

"What do you mean?" Shubman asked, raising an eyebrow at his father.

"I mean exactly what I asked, Shubman. Why did you sleep with him last night?" Rohit asked, already frustrated with his son's attitude. "He was sad yesterday, so he just came to me for some comfort. That's it." Shubman tried to act cool, but he was slightly trembling under his father's intense gaze. Rohit sighed and resumed eating his breakfast.

"I told you to stay away from him," Rohit mumbled while eating, though it sounded like he was speaking to himself, knowing that his son wouldn't listen.

"Ritz, babe, we should start looking for a girl for Ishan. We should arrange his marriage—he's already 30," Rohit proposed to Ritika, completely ignoring Shubman's presence. Ritika glanced at Shubman, whose ears were perked up, listening to their conversation. He was still trying to act cool, but inside, a storm was brewing— a deadly storm.

"Yeah, we should. I'll talk to Ishu about it," Ritika nodded. Shubman finished his breakfast and rushed out of the suffocating conversation in which he wasn't even involved. He sat in a garden near their house. It was almost afternoon, so the place was peaceful and empty. Shubman stretched his limbs and yawned.

"It's too boring today. I should've attended lectures with Surya," he clicked his tongue in annoyance at his decision to stay home instead of going to university. "Oh God, my parents—they're so annoying. I don't hate them, though. Just remove this narrow-minded mentality, and they'd be all good and fine," he said, looking up at the sky as if requesting God.

"But," his face shifted from pleading to devilish, his smile resembling that of Lucifer's, "they have no idea that their little Ishu is also gay, just like their son." He laughed out loud. "Mom and Dad, I feel pity for both of you." A pout appeared on his face. He rested his arms on the back of the bench and leaned his head on his crossed arms. He spread his legs and closed his eyes, enjoying the peaceful environment.

.

.

.

"Ishu, Ishan... hey... are you okay?" Mayank yanked Ishan's hand and unintentionally pulled him towards himself, causing Ishan to yelp in pain.

"Oh, I... I didn't mean to. I'm really sorry. Please, please forgive me. I didn't mean to hurt you," he pleaded, bowing his head and pressing his palms together in front of Ishan in apology.

"It... it's fine," Ishan forgave him.

"Did I do something wrong? Just tell me, and I'll make up for it, but don't ignore me like this," Mayank said, causing Ishan to pause in his tracks.

'Yeah, he didn't do anything wrong. It's not his fault. It was me—I was the fool who fell in love with him, but he's already found his better half, so why would he even think of me that way?' Ishan thought to himself. His thoughts were clearer now, unlike yesterday when he swore never to speak to Mayank again.

He turned around and faced Mayank, making intense eye contact with him for the first time since he started developing feelings for him. "We need to talk," he said plainly and started walking towards the cafeteria. Mayank was confused but followed his friend without questioning further.